lower gearing for a single speed?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I am somewhat unfamiliar with coaster brake hubs and I need to lower my gearing. I have seen some nice sprokets available from Spooky but I am wondering about the rear hub sproket. Does anyone make a higher tooth count sproket that will bolt on? The bike is a Huffy Cranbrook in the process of being stretched and I was able to pedal it today and the gearing is just way to high- only need to get it rolling far enough to fire up. Am I correct in thinking a smaller crank sproket will reduce my gearing? The bike has a 44 tooth on it now so would one of Spookys 36 help me very much in making take offs easier? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Putting a 36 on the bicycle crank would give around a 19% decrease in the gear. Being a one speed it may be possible to go a couple of teeth bigger if they are available for your type of hub and the frame will allow it. Who makes your rear hub and how many teeth are on that cog.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
simply put, a 36t up front will be a lot easier to pedal than a 44. it'll also give you more room for a motor.

in the rear, a larger cog makes it easier to pedal.

as a bonus, easier gearing makes the coaster brake work better, because it gets more leverage and activates quicker when you backpedal.

you probably have a rear cog with the spring clip and three little nubs holding it on. any good bike shop should have different ones, and most hubs are universal these days, as they're all made in china and copy the shimano hub design. best bet is to bring your wheel in and make sure one fits, though, just in case.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thanks for all the info! I will try the 36 first and see if that is enough. Good to know the lower the gearing the more effective the coaster brake operates. I am not sure what type of hub it is as it is not the original wheel for the bike. It is a Cranbrook but the person I got the bike from destroyed the original in a failed attempt at motorizing! Great deal for me though, complete new bike and engine with less than 10 min on them for 150 delivered no less!!! I have recently tried to avoid my local bike shop as they seem to turn their nose's up when i pull in on my motorized bike- funny though its the only bike in the parking lot!! But I just might turn to them for help with the cogs if i need to go that far.
Thanks for the very helpfull information on the gearing!
I love this forum!

Attachments