Question regarding 4-strokes and frame size.

GoldenMotor.com

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
What size frame will I need to center-mount a Hua Sheng 4stroke with a 4g belt gearbox? I do not own beach-cruiser-style frames, only the standard triangle style. Specifically, does anyone have a length minimum on all three tubes? Please be sure to mention whether measurements are taken from the inside of the frame triangle or the outside. I have a hard tail Diamondback frame that's about 14 5/8 inches long on the inside of the seat post bar (sorry for lack of other measurements, that I would like to use if possible. it is a "Response Sport", 3 to 5 years old. I can make minor adjustments if need be, but am not interested in welding/cutting. I am aware that I may need over-sized tubing modifications. This is not my only option by far. Thoughts? :-||

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Most 4 strokes will fit a 19" frame and even smaller if you have fabricating skills. You'll likely run into problems w/ that frame.

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
ok thanks for the info. What about the standard sized occ chopper? i Can weld custom mounts if the engine would physically fit inside?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Your gonna need 10" of height w/ a horiz base of 6" for most i.e. move up from your bb till you have 6" between your down tube and your seat tube andx if you still have 10 or 11" to your top tube your golden!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I stand corrected! That was from memory (been a little while since I installed an HS), forgot you need some space behind them to accommodate the air filter. Duh

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
Hey, thanks, ghost and tyreslider, this was VERY informative. I'm so glad to be part of this forum. Hey ghost, no worries about THAT frame being stolen! You could spot it from 2 miles away!

Last edited:

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
Awesome! I just found the perfect frame (in my eyes, anyway.) It is an older (looks like 80's) Giant Chinook. Got it free from the local landfill. Everything functions perfectly, with the exception of a missing left crank arm. WWWOOOOO-HHHOOOO!!!!!! And it's big. I mean real nice and big. And it's steel. And the tubing is regular-sized! YEAH! 12- speed madness, y'all! It even came with big, bad, fat tires on it!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gosta love dat! A steal at twice the price. Fat tires make for a much better ride. Post lots of pics

Very cool. Steel to boot. score

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
I would love to post a lot of pictures of stuff all over this whole forum... My current lack of a digital camera has frustrated me to no end. Maybe I can borrow a buddy's sometime soon.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Always a bummer, waiting on funds for a project.

I don't use cams any more. Just cell carp cam then email it to my self. I am lazy and this way no resizing or moving from cam to PC. (think I would just buy the wire but nooo. lol)

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Just installed an HS on an older Murray, the biggest problem was the top mounted choke lever, had to cut the frame and reweld 2 inches higher. Went shoppng for a new bike, and found it hard to find a big enough frame. Although I had only gone to the big box stores, including Walmart, Kmart, Target and Dicks sporting goods. Dicks did have a bike with a big enough frame, but it also had skinny 28 inch tires and a huge 25 inch frame. All the new bikes have odd shaped tubes that slant downward or have odd bends, could not believe after looking at all those stores that only 1 bike would work. I have a cranbrook on the way VIA internet order, hoping it will have enough clearance. The way I measured is you need at least 17 inches from bottom of top tube just below the seat,to the top of the crank opening, and that was the minimum, with the engine mounting plate full closed I had to drill and retap 4 holes, because they disapaired under the slot cut outs of the 1 piece chrome engine plate. Sounds confusing, but I hope it helps. I really believe you need to have a frame were the top tube does not slant downward toward the seat, but runs parallel to the ground. That choke lever would of been better being side mounted, but instead sticks straight up dead center under top tube. Any one else have this problem?