Waterbottle Gas Spare

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Iam using a thick waterbottle actually 2 on my bike for gas--they are great for squirting gas into the Subaru-Robin gas tank. I just hope if i ever get into an accident someone doesnt try to give me "Water" if i can't speak--for that reason i have marked Gas on the bottle !! i find it handier than carrying a fuel bottle in a backpack.Today the guy at the gas station looked as i filled my bottles for 93 cents-no profit there--no wonder those poor oil companies are suffering !.ride7a

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Have you heard of MSR fuel bottles? Camping/outdoor stores sell them.
The 22oz MSR fuel bottles will fit into some bicycle water bottle holders, but not all. They are the right height, but are a tiny bit fatter than a regular water bottle is. They're spun aluminum, so you cannot "squeeze them in" if they're a bit too fat.

This is the normal type of wire cage they will NOT fit into:
Nashbar Sport Mountain Water Bottle Cage
They may fit into the side-wrap-style cages, like this one-
Nashbar Sidewinder Cage
They may also fit into the split-type cages, like this one-
Ascent Butterfly Road Water Bottle Cage

One advantage of the MSR bottle is that it actually says it's intended for flammable fuel right on it. US gas stations aren't supposed to let you pump fuel into any container that's not intended for it. The gas-station clerks have a tough time arguing it's not a gas can when it's red and has "fuel bottle" and a bunch of flammability warnings printed right on the side.

One disadvantage of the MSR bottles I've found is that leaving gas in them a long time may cause the cap to swell and be difficult to unscrew. The bottles are really intended for camp stove fuel, which is usually kerosene, that has no alcohol in it. Gasoline in the US now has alcohol, and my guess is the alcohol is what causes the cap to swell after a couple weeks. Just don't leave the gas in it more than one day, and it works fine.
~