Huaseng engine starts over, then dies repeatedly.

GoldenMotor.com

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
Hi everyone, I've been a long time forum lurker but this is one of my first posts. I've had my bike and Grubee 4g setup for about a year now. When I first assembled it, ran great and had no problems. I joined the Coast Guard and my bike sat in my garage for about 8 months. It started up in about 10 tries as soon as I returned back home. I have since moved and now the bike doesn't want to stay running. I made a quick Youtube video to better diagnose the problem. Anything can help and I'm hoping its a really simple fix. Thanks!

Here is the link.

4g Grubee / Huaseng engine not starting - YouTube

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hi everyone, I've been a long time forum lurker but this is one of my first posts. I've had my bike and Grubee 4g setup for about a year now. When I first assembled it, ran great and had no problems. I joined the Coast Guard and my bike sat in my garage for about 8 months. It started up in about 10 tries as soon as I returned back home. I have since moved and now the bike doesn't want to stay running. I made a quick Youtube video to better diagnose the problem. Anything can help and I'm hoping its a really simple fix. Thanks!

Here is the link.

4g Grubee / Huaseng engine not starting - YouTube
How does it run with a little choke, possibility of a bad vacuum leak? Does that engine have reed valves?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Al, Huasheng is a clone/copy of a Honda GXH50. A 4-stroke.

Jim, along with replacing the fuel filter, you probably need to rebuild the carb. The Huasheng carbs are notorious for getting plugged up easily, and today's fuel has crap for storage life.

I had a carb do the same thing yours did after running for awhile just fine. Rebuilt it a dozen times, but I ended up having to replace my carb because it never worked properly again. My current carb plugged up once, but a quick cleaning and rebuild fixed it. One of my brothers battled the same thing with his Huasheng carb a few times.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
When I first built it, I would start it with full choke until it was warmed up. Since the last time I started it, the choke is the only way to make the engine turn over. Anything other than choke just doesn't work any more. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined but from looking at pictures of reed valves, I don't believe this engine has reed valves. Thanks for your response!

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Your problem seems to be related to fuel. Thus:

-Dirty carburetor can do this, the fuel in the floatbowl might be dirty/old and clog the jet.
-Air leaks can lean the engine to a point where it hasn't enough idle to stay on.
-Clogged fuel screen, lines or filters can let a little bit of gas go through and when you start the engine, it sucks that little fuel out of the floatbowl thus killing off the engine.

I suggest you don't use the 8 month old gas. Thus, empty your tank, remove the fuel petcock and check it for dirt and flow, check the fuel filter flow, take apart the carburetor and clean it off with some carb cleaner, use some starter fluid sprayed around the carburetor, intake, engine crankcase, etc while the engine is running (if your idle goes higher then you have a leak).

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
I noticed when I first got the bike it had a lot of crap in the fuel tank and didn't even come with a fuel filter. I'll look at cleaning the carb or replacing it completely. I was looking forward to finally being able to ride it today on my day off!

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Riding without any sort of filter can be dangerous to the engine :
-Little bits of dirt might pass through and scorch the piston, cylinder wall, etc.
-These little bits of dirt can partially clog your carburetor jet thus lean out your engine and make you ride it lean for a while. Running lean prematurely damages the piston rings and can, in more extreme cases cause the engine to overheat so bad you may warp some mechanical parts.

Use at LEAST a screen, I recommend you use a proper filter though.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
I bought a plastic/paper filter before I ever started the engine for the first time, I just have to figure out how to get this damn thing apart. Looks like some research and a trip to the store in my future for today! Thanks for everyones help on the matter, I really didn't know what could of been wrong so randomly.

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
There is a filter in the gas tank, but it is good to add another.

The biggest problem I have had with the HS is the idle jet. remove the idle screw, and below it is a plastic tab. Wiggle it up with a flathead screwdriver and you will see a plastic jet with two o-rings on it. If they are not perfectly seated in the ridges, you will have a lot of problems with the motor. It might be worth it to get two new o-rings from DAX.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
Ok, so I've fiddled with the carb and took off the gold...bottom held on by a screw. Forgive me, I bought this bike/engine to learn about engines so I'm learning everything as I go. It had what looked like, clear sand or fine grit sitting in the bottom. I washed it out with some water and dried it off before installing it back on. When I started it, it ran for a few more seconds than in the original video I posted but it still dies. I emptied the gas tank and when I get the chance I'll fill it up with some new stuff.

If the carb had grit in it, would that lead to bigger issues?

:-||

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
So, I took the carb completely apart and it is as clean as it is gonna get. I attached a new gas tank to the bike as I found out the tank that is welded in the frame is rusted and has chunks of rust and debris. Went to the gas station, picked up some new fuel, and I cranked the pull cord. Well good and bad news.

Good news: It idles longer and if I let it sit, it might last about a minute before it dies.

Bad news: The idle is completely all over the place. When first started it revs really high and tries to engage the clutch. From then, it just idles fast....then slow....then fast again! Then slow.....until it dies.

I should also note, all of this happens while the choke is on. If I take the choke off or try to rev the engine at all, it says, "No, I won't run and let you have tons of fun zipping along the roads because I'm stubborn."

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
I would imagine that the air leaks would be coming from the rubber seals where the carb is bolted to the rest of the engine? I'll probably just go ahead and buy the seals and replace them all. I'm about to take a meat tenderizer to this bike and send all the fun bits and pieces back to China! CHHHHIIIINNNNNAAAAAAA! *Shakes fist*

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Air leaks are very unlikely with these HS engines. The intake manifold is less than a half inch thick and it has gaskets on both sides.
Their carburetors are very sensitive tho. They get plugged easy.

You might want to clean out the tank a little better and clean the carb again. Your carb is doing the same crap my original carb did, and I had to replace it.
It got buggy at 100 miles and never worked right again.

Edit: check the o-rings on the jets, too. If they are loose, they must be replaced.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
I've made the executive decision and I'm just going to replace the whole carb assembly. The new gas tank I strapped to the bike it as clean as a whistle so I've determined that isn't an issue anymore. In about a week I'll update this thread with my results! Thanks for all of your input everyone...this is all a learning experience so eventually I can help others who have the same issues.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
Ok, so I finally found out that I cleaned the whole carb really really well except for the small little gas nut thing that has a hole in it where the gas flows through haha. So I cleaned that really well, put the whole thing back together and hurray it starts and run! But wait, the story doesn't stop there. After starting it on choke and letting it run for about 5 minutes it died. Now when I start it in any other position other than choke it revs so high the clutch tries to engage and it doesn't idle...pretty much a step below red lining it. This has stumped me for now. Help? Thanks for all the help so far guys.

dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
This definitely has all the symptoms of an air leak.
I recommend using an excellent product called Hylomar as a gasket sealant between all the cylinder, spacer and carburetor surfaces.
http://www.hylomarsealant.com/index.html
Any good auto parts store will carry Permatex's version of it. You only need a very thin coating on all surfaces, too thick and you are only wasting it and possibly causing alot of squish out when tightening the parts up. To make applying it easy, use a Q-Tip dipped in acetone to spread it around. Do not get any on your clothes, it will not wash out.
It will never harden, always remains pliable and disassembly at a later time will be easy.
If you loose or tear a gasket, Hylomar will work without a gasket too.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
Thanks for the link Gearnut, that looks like some good stuff to use! Do you think the air leak would be somewhere on the carburetor? I noticed when putting the air filter cover back on, the gasket (between the filter and carb) was a bit messed up from what looked like being screwed down too hard. I don't see why that would be the problem right there but figured it was mention worthy.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A leak between the air cleaner and carburetor would not cause the symptoms you are having. That said, any air leak in between the air cleaner and the carburetor should be avoided as it allows unfiltered air get sucked in. Hylomar will seal that up too.

Jimbobwey

Sep 18, 2010
Bremerton, Washington
So I ran out to the garage really quick to see if I could pinpoint the leak by spraying carb cleaner around where it bolts to the body. I didn't get any RPM changes unless I shot it near the filter, from which it idled really low and died. Is there another spot on the engine that could cause these RPM issues other than the carb?