The Latest From The DMV In Austin, TX

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I just got this in an email this morning:

Thank you for your email. In Texas, we do not title or register motorized bicycles. We treat motorized bicycles the same as regular non-motorized bicycles. You may consider contacting your local law enforcement agency for the rules and regulations for operating bicycles on the public road.

Motorized bicycles are treated the same as regular bicycles! It doesn't matter if they are gas or electric, they're all bicycles in Texas!

dance1

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
That's the way it should be everywhere......Soon you'll have to have a license to walk down the street......

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I haven't been hassled, but I'm going to carry a copy of the email with me, just in case.

I haven't seen any other MBers around here, so I'm not sure what the cops think about us yet. I have seen some MBs for sale on CL, but none riding around here. Then again, I didn't ride much in the heat either.

Now that things are cooling off, I'll probably be out more.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the news.

Ride On!

cvlt1

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I live in Port Aransas, a small barrier island w/ about 3000 people in the winter....50-100,000 in summer..... I live next door to a cop and he says it's all good w / motorbikes.......

There are at least 30 that run around here regularly....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You gotta love Texas. Yea Texas. Nobody ever bothers me riding around Dallas.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Texas is the only state that i have broke down in my truck. that the pople went out of there way to help me. go Texas.

veloman

Mar 4, 2013
Austin TX
I ride a fast ebike responsibly in Austin. It's safer because it's faster.

I've never been stopped once in over 8,000 miles for riding an electric bike. I am about 50/50 pedaling or not at fast speeds. I think I technically am legal if I am pedaling, up to the speed limit.

Here is the definition of a bicycle:

Definition of Bicycle
Sec. 541.201. Vehicles.

In this subtitle:

... (2) "Bicycle" means a device that a person may ride and that is propelled by human power and has two tandem wheels at least one of which is more than 14 inches in diameter.

The following definition of electric bicycle was passed by the Texas legislature in 2001:

(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.

(11) "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle or a vehicle that is propelled by electric power from overhead trolley wires. The term does not include an electric bicycle.

(24) "Electric bicycle" means a bicycle that:

(A) is designed to be propelled by an electric motor, exclusively or in combination with the application of human power;

(B) cannot attain a speed of more than 20 miles per hour without the application of human power; and

(C) does not exceed a weight of 100 pounds.

Source: http://bicycleaustin.info/laws/tx-bike.html#definition

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We're very lucky about the way Texas treats Motor bicycles. In Florida the law is almost exactly the same, and they're trying to harass motor bicycles off the streets.