need longer cables

GoldenMotor.com

xmikex

Oct 30, 2009
socal
hi im building my first bike and i want to put apes on it, anyone know where i can get longer throtle adn clutch cables?

thanks
mike
usflg

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
hi im building my first bike and i want to put apes on it, anyone know where i can get longer throtle adn clutch cables?

thanks
mike
usflg
sometimes, stock cables ARE long enough. sometimes they arent. depends on the kit, and the apes.
try them out before spending $$ unnecessarily.
i know livefastmotors.com has them. just my .02

xmikex

Oct 30, 2009
socal
are the throttle and clutch cables the same cable? i have a grubbe 80 cc kit the apes are pretty big

xmikex

Oct 30, 2009
socal
guess ill have to look around for the cables. read somewhere that bike and go kart cabbles can work. i looked up the choppers us and i didnt see any cables they sold

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx

thanks
mike
usflg
Just try your cables first, or use a shoestring or something to mock it up. I think that Norman on here has a youtube page with a how-to on making cables.

Spunout

Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
you say you have a motorkit in your possession? take a look at the throttle cable. the throttle cable has a small round-ish lead ball, called a "swedge" on the end that goes into the carb.
i'm sure there's a few guys on this site that know a way to make a swedge, or something similar.
then, you could use regular brake cables

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
will they be exact matches jsut take the springs off of the clutch cable and put them on the brake lines? or is it jerry rigging it with the brake cables?

thank you
For the clutch cable, the new brake cable will be a direct swap.
For the throttle cable, you will have to use the old screw in fitting & solder a new tip onto it.
I drill a tiny 1/8" hole (3/16" deep) in a piece of wood, fill it with hot solder & stick the end of the new cable into it & let it cool for a few minutes before pulling it out.

xmikex

Oct 30, 2009
socal
For the throttle cable, you will have to use the old screw in fitting & solder a new tip onto it.
I drill a tiny 1/8" hole (3/16" deep) in a piece of wood, fill it with hot solder & stick the end of the new cable into it & let it cool for a few minutes before pulling it out.
sweet, thank you for all the help

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Make sure you measure how much the old cable pulls before you cut it up, & make the new one the same!!!

& practice making the tip with a dead peice BEFORE making the new one!!

xmikex

Oct 30, 2009
socal
im a complete noob at this so i wantto make sure. if the old cable it so short to use withthe bars how would i measure the pull with those bars with the new cable?

Spunout

Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
oh holy jeebus...thats just regular solder? i didnt think it was. awesome.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
im a complete noob at this so i wantto make sure. if the old cable it so short to use withthe bars how would i measure the pull with those bars with the new cable?
Think about what I'm saying... If the old cable is 2' with 2-1/2" sticking out? the new cable would be 4' with 2-1/2" sticking out... get it?? measure how far the cable pulls back n forth in the sleeve!!

scabz24

Oct 16, 2009
dunedin fl.
go to a bike shop get a tandem brake cable there are no ape hangers to tall for these,the cable shuold cost no more than $8.00 for stainless,most good shops should have housing by the foot for around .99cents/ft.motorcycle shops tend to charge way more,thats why alot of old school harley guys buy them fron me at the shop I work at.Tip...be sure to lube the inside of the housing with some thin teflon based lube your throttle will work way smother,ask the shop if there honest they will sqirt some in for free.