Caution! Fenders are Death!

GoldenMotor.com

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
My solution to crappy fenders was to make my own stays and brackets and totally overbuild them. I use 1/8" x 3/4" steel barstock to make my own L brackets and 1/8" x 1/2" barstock to bend my own fender struts. I drill out the rivets on the old hardware and use bolts with nylock nuts to fasten my new hardware. I also have taken a cue from modern bike fenders and cut a slot in the ends of the front struts so that if the L bracket failed or a branch got caught in the wheel that the strut would release from the fork thus avoiding a front wheel lockup. It's time consuming but so far trouble free (knock on wood). I also have only built 4 stroke Huashengs so less vibration than the china girls. In my opinion you can't go wrong overbuilding these parts since the consequences can be so extreme.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool, ABike. Could you post pictures?

That is my thinking with fenders and any safety concern. Over build and to much is never enough.

(When eating from the sandwich of life, take big bites. Plan to exceed the norm. Do more then you can possibly do and live.... )

My solution to crappy fenders was to make my own stays and brackets and totally overbuild them. I use 1/8" x 3/4" steel barstock to make my own L brackets and 1/8" x 1/2" barstock to bend my own fender struts. I drill out the rivets on the old hardware and use bolts with nylock nuts to fasten my new hardware. I also have taken a cue from modern bike fenders and cut a slot in the ends of the front struts so that if the L bracket failed or a branch got caught in the wheel that the strut would release from the fork thus avoiding a front wheel lockup. It's time consuming but so far trouble free (knock on wood). I also have only built 4 stroke Huashengs so less vibration than the china girls. In my opinion you can't go wrong overbuilding these parts since the consequences can be so extreme.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looks good as the angle mental bracket is beefy. Also having two bolts to the fender to connect to the angle metal is good. The fender is thinner metal by default and so the stress is spread over twice the area!

MT

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very nice work, abikerider. You should be proud of the quality. Thank you for sharing your ideas and photos. Hopefully others will benefit from them.

And tell your wife she should dust her bike :)

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
started reading him a bit over 60 tears ago - earlier books got points across more directly

tanstafl

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Thanks 2door and MEASURE TWICE, it's nice to have one's work appreciated. Most of my customization of these kits is for safety or durability issues. Safety is my number 1 priority. That's why I also have my magneto alternator, 7 watt LED headlight, LED tail light/ brake light, and horn.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
might have something to do with being almost 70 & having cancer

was a so cal cycle champ when I was younger

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
might have something to do with being almost 70 & having cancer
The fact that you are still out there enjoying that motorized bike at 70 tells me you are indeed living life well. The fact that you are 70...dealing with cancer and out there still enjoying that motorized bike tells me you are taking huge bites! God bless you brother. I hope I might live life as large as you when I am 70 or faced with a major personal challenge as you are. Keep at it man...you are inspiration!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Crassius, am sorry to hear that Buddy. How ya doing?

...And you always seem so pleasant. Really admirable, Sir.

Keeping with the "big bites" thing. (hehe, I really, really thought I was original with that, dangit) I think a MB is in keeping with that philosophy. A whole lot easier to not only stop and smell the roses. Is a whole lot easier to see more of em at that speed and on an open air vehicle. dunno

Please keep updating on how your doing.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
if you're taking life in 'big bites' why are you riding a motor-bicycle?
I have owned some cool sports cars(82 mustang GT, 84 corvette, 79 Z-28, 77 Trans Am, 83 Camaro, 92 25th Anny Camaro), motorcycles... I race go karts. Flying around at blistering speeds is indeed fun, but slowing things down on a motorized bike and really soaking in the sites and sounds this planet has to offer in my mind is indeed taking a larger bite in my opinion then just running around at lightning speeds to fast to really focus on the good stuff we miss going fast. Really just a matter of personal perspective.

Does a man that climbs a mountain get the most satisfaction from the climb or from the view once he gets to the top? Depends on the individual I suppose, but I am going for the once in a lifetime view.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have owned some cool sports cars(82 mustang GT, 84 corvette, 79 Z-28, 77 Trans Am, 83 Camaro, 92 25th Anny Camaro), motorcycles... I race go karts. Flying around at blistering speeds is indeed fun, but slowing things down on a motorized bike and really soaking in the sites and sounds this planet has to offer in my mind is indeed taking a larger bite in my opinion then just running around at lightning speeds to fast to really focus on the good stuff we miss going fast. Really just a matter of personal perspective.

Does a man that climbs a mountain get the most satisfaction from the climb or from the view once he gets to the top? Depends on the individual I suppose, but I am going for the once in a lifetime view.
I too have gone fast. Well over mach one and today I prefer 20 MPH.
There is so much of this world that you can miss at speed and so many things that go unappreciated. I ride my funny little motorized bicycles and smell the new mowed grass, the flowers, see what neighbors have done to their houses and yards. You don't get that any other way but walking. But my bikes give me a broader perspective because I can cover more ground in a given time. At my modest speeds I have time to see, smell and appreciate the world around me instead of what's coming at me through the windshield or helmet visor. Funny how simple things become more important over time.

What this has to do with fenders, I don't know. Threads have a way of getting sidetracked sometimes. This appears to be one of them.

Good luck to my friend crassius. You have a lot of freinds and admirers here, sir.

Tom

--

Aug 18, 2014
I hardly have any fender problems because I use better hardwares than the ones are supplied with the fender sets..

Use fender washers, internal or external toothed washers, then apply some loctite 242 (the blue kind) to bolt threads.. Fender washers help prevent bolt heads from pulling through thin sheet metal..

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm OK - seems past a certain point in life there comes a mindset change & one just doesn't expect as much. Docs have cooked my innards crisp as bacon & say they've slowed it down so much that it'll be something else that gets me in the end.

Most days I can put in 3 or 4 hours on these things between naps, and that is enjoyable.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
@ crassius, sounds like a life well lived, not that everyone gets these opportunities though. Sorry to hear about your cancer.

-------------------

Philosophically I'm in the 'life as it comes' and to be in the moment. I see motorized bikes and small two wheeled vehicles in general as works of art that reflect their owner's aspirations and are really fun transportation. And in that philosophy I see them as 'small bites' that are more interesting than owning or being owned by what you have or do.

Low impact, made for little consumption of resources, one less cage on the road. It's been my philosophy for many years.

So anyways get out into that shop and fix those damn fenders. This shouldn't need to be in the realm of rocket science.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I was given the secret of life when younger & took it to heart.

You can work to have money, or work to have a life. I did the latter by taking a year off after every 2 or 3 years of work. Traveled & did things few get to do until they are too old to really enjoy doing those things.