Curb Dog side pull BMX brake didn't fit...

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ordered the CURB DOG MUSCLE BOUND BMX BRAKE SET from Pirates to mount on the front of the Cranny. It didn't fit. The pads hit in the middle of the rim and the tire. I ovaled the mount hole in the fork and elongated the pad slot. Still wouldn't grab just the rim.

Am I missing something?

I have mounted the brake under the the existing fender mount cross bar in the back to at least take some pressure off the coaster. The tests were so-so. Definitely stopped better in the tests with it mounted on the front, even while rubbing the tire (test was done under pedal power.)

Only solution I could think of is to make a mount that attached in the existing mounting holes with new mount holes drilled into the the fabbed bracket just under the top tube of the fork and existing fender mount hole. Make sense?

Other option I have is to pick up a V brake adapter and run the set that's on my dirt jump bike...may be the way to go to be safe.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
those kind of brakes are a little tricky.
it is all about having the mechanism part snug. though it still able to move.
then having it very tight when mounting it.
sometimes when i work on stuff i get lazy & not use washers.
in this situation all those washers have a purpose.
it might take a few times getting it right.

not that i'm about throwing money @ a problem but, my bike came with those style brakes & it was pretty darn dangerous. it took way too long to slow down..
when i got a front fork that use cantilever brakes it was much better.
stopping was 50% better & the design is simple with less issues.

i am thinking about getting these forks from pirate.
Sunlite Springer W Canti Studs Exellent Quality
they have the cantilever mounts.
i want to try having a suspension & somebody that bought them on these forums really liked them.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The actual mechanism/operation set up isn't really the issue. All washer/spacers are being used. The problem is the pads don't reach the rim. Hits right between the tire bead and top of rim.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
hmm.
if the axle is all the way up into the fork slot brackets & the the brake pads are in the lowest position they should reach.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
One would think...par for the course on this build. Everything I've done has had to be bent, tweaked, filed, scraped and redone about 4x's!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
yup. i have to tell you though.
every time you redo it you will be closer to having a fun bike.
between everyday or every other day i had to fix something.

the bad thing is that i bought a whole bike w/kit.
it didn't make it easier.

now the worst part is that o have it running great & now florida changed the laws so now motorised bikes are illegal to ride on the road.

maybe your rim & tire or fork is not the size you thought it is.