Which bicycle would be better suited? Speed and durability

GoldenMotor.com

anthonysixfoot8

Jul 23, 2010
Illinois
Hello and thanks for reading and answering my questions before hand...

I have a couple questions on which bike would be better suited to install a Grubee skyhawk GT5 80cc/66cc Slant head engine kit..The choices I have narrowed it down too are a 26" Champagne Cranbrook cruiser bike sold by walmart I believe it weighs approximately 35-40 lbs and the other is a 26" mens roadmaster sport all terrain mountian bike sold by walmart as well..The specs on this one are as follows: Steel frame/Front suspension/18 speed gear...I dont really know the weight but if I had to guess I would say about 25lbs.

Please if anyone has some good insight on this it would be much appreciated, because as this would be my first build..Please take into consideration on speed and durability...If these arent good choices maybe name a good bicycle to mount it on and at a reasonable price as I am not rich and it must be a 26" or more...

Thank you so much.....shft.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wallyworld bikes are renowned for cheesy components so "durability" isn't gonna be a strong point (I think that might be a bad joke there - sorry lolz) & while normally I'd vote mountain bike for strength and front suspension... I don't think you'll get much of either for the $75 they're askin' ;)

Still, obviously budget is a concern & somethin' is defo better than nothing so if you cant find a higher quality bike I'd hafta say the Cranbrook 'cause it's by far one of the most common cheap bikes used for motorizing & it's faults are well known. They (walmart) did just recently upgrade the spokes to a nice, beefy 12g or something - so make sure the one yer looking at is a newer one w/the thicker spokes, you'll need them. If they don't have one in stock - wait or order one.

The other problems include single wall rims (prone to flex & collapse), front fender mount failures (drops yer fender into yer wheel and throws ya), and there was at least one report of rear chainstay failure....

*shrug* still, provided you know about these faults and address them before they getcha, it's an OK bike - we've a ton of members quite happy with their rides and have done 'em up spiffy. Type "Cranbrook" (and even "Cranboob" heh) in the google custom search for LOTS more info ifn ya want (or wait for other member's feedback), I've not actually had one myself ya see :p

Last edited:

anthonysixfoot8

Jul 23, 2010
Illinois
Hey thank you so much for your input its much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!! So what would be a good Mtn bike to install this kit on? Nevermind about the money issue..I was thinking maybe installing it on a Trek Mtn Bike. Please give me some ideas but try and keep it under 200.00 please...Thanks again

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I have built several cranny's and a couple roadmaster mtn bikes. They lasted for a while but like mentioned before the quality of the components will show themselves in a few hundred miles. I started buying good quality bikes from craigslist and motorizing them and have had great success. I currently have a murray cruiser (nothing really murray about it except the frame now) and a Wheeler and a Japanese made Fuji. The Wheeler and the Fuji were both 600 dollar bikes when new but i picked them up in great shape and with a little work had a rock solid foundation chromoly double butted bikes for less than 100 ea. Quality rims and brakes and a strong frame are essential to hold up to the abuse and I dont think anything from wal mart is even in the ball park of these late 80's 90's mtn bikes. Trek is like mongoose anymore, they have good bikes and crap bikes so beware. Dont be afraid of a used bike and dont be impatient either. There are a ton of them out there and you are sure to find a great deal with just a little time.
On a side note if you should go with a roadmaster be careful of the frame size- they are generally very small and can be very difficult to get an engine in. I had to drill a hole in the frame to get the throttle cable to the carb on an engine that had no intake- the carb mounted directly to the head. I dont think it would have worked with a typical intake manifold carb setup at all. My son then proceded to destroy the bike! Pedals went first then the shifters then the chain broke then the rims got flat spots, till one day it sent him over the handlebars because of the front brake failing that was enough! Roadmaster in the city dump. He rides the Fuji now and it is near bullet proof. Keep fresh brake pads on and ride!

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The Cranbrooks are good bikes to learn on if that's what you want to do. Mine's taught me a good bit about frame building. laff

Last time I was in Wally World I noticed the aluminum OP cruiser and I think if I was going to build another with a store bought bike I'd do it with that one. It's only about $30 more then the Cranbrook and seems to be built a lot better.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
For the budget I'd go with the shifter mountain bike with the front shocks too.
That, and you can can run the drive side chain with no chain tentioner because the pedal side has one, and the shocks... man, what a huge difference!

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
true that cranbrooks are turds i built one and it lasted 20 miles or so till the hub trashed itself lookn at thrift stores or on craigs list i found most of the parts on my latest build from a garbadge piuck in a ritzieer nieghborhood near my house look in the rat rod and hot rod section of this sight under some pics of my bike on photobucket the second link woorks but the first one doesnt 225 total invrested in the bike inh the pics and vids but if a wlmart bike is what you want then try the scwinn riverside i built one and had great success but youll need a sbp frame adapter not that exp mostly just takes a lot of time and i would recomend a grubbee skyhawk motor this is my second build and the mototr is well worth the few xtra bucks also anything that you need to know about fixin theese bikes is on this sight so have fun and be careful

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I still haven't recovered my stolen bike and just righting it off. Sucks!
I have one motor left, a Black Grubee 66, and I need to put it to use and sell it so I figure I might as well build another Luxury Shifter MB with the new SickBikes shift kit design and leaning towards this bike:

700C Men's Schwinn Solitaire Hybrid Bike:

* Aluminum "City" frame with SR Suntour Suspension Fork offers upright riding position
* Fenders and rear storage rack for convenient city riding in all conditions
* Padded saddle with suspension seat post for a cushioned ride
* 21-Speed Shimano Drive-train with SRAM Grip Shift Shifters for easy gear changes
* ProMax alloy linear pull brakes stop precisely

$199. delivered free from Wally On-line.

It's not a Giant, but it's not a Huffy either ;-}

Note you can NOT motorize this bike direct to the funky spokes, the sprocket won't mount, but with gears a shift kit sure makes sense.

It will need a Tetter-Tooter dual pull brake lever and a new 410 HD Z chain, plus my usual stuff like better grips and my CDI Keylock & Wiring Upgrade, but for ~$500 I can build another ~$1000 Luxury ride and sell one of them to get back on track.

A 7 speed shifter MB with front and seat shocks, force matched front/rear V-brakes, etc. It should be a sweet ride. I know my Giant 3-speed hub shifter sure is ;-}

But back to the Topic question...
I don't know how Reliable that bike will be, but it sure would be easy to start and Fast. I am past break-in mix and on 25:1 and can cruise at 40 MPH without stressing the 48cc motor on the Giant.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here is a Gt5 on an OP. Sweet ride she is..brnot
Beautiful ride SalmonSlayer (love that name, I fish too), especially the no tensioner on the drive chain part, it just makes it that much 'cleaner' looking, and of course better mechanically, very will done!

I still have my heart set on another shifter bike, but this Wally on-line bike caught my eye too, and you can run it with two chains no gears as the spokes will work for a sprocket (or is it worth anything to motorize?) read on and decide for yourself.

26'' Men's Schwinn Link Comfort Bike:

* Steel frame features upright geometry for a comfortable riding position
* SR Suntour suspension fork smoothes out bumps
* 21 speeds with SRAM Grip Shift shifters for easy gear changes
* Promax alloy linear pull brakes stop precisely
* Rise bar with adjustable stem gives a good view of the road
* Padded saddle & suspension seatpost soften the ride

Some of same hardware like shocks, brakes and gears that matter, just no rack or fenders, but $40 less so that made me wonder...
Those are nickle and dime items, what else is different?

Steel frame is a plus to me, easy to squeeze that front tube in a bit to fit the stock motor mount without compromising frame integrity like aluminum, but the details are in what they DON'T say it has.

For starters the gears.
On the Solitare they made a point of the Shimano Drive-train, on this all they said was what the shifter controls were, not the gear. That tells me junk, but if you are going to run another direct drive chain meaningless. Until you find yourself out of gas or otherwise motor disabled you will just leave it in 1st or 2nd anyway to start it so it would be used less than a regular pedal bike.
I would never trust this 'whatever it is' drive train with an always used shift kit though.

The second glaring difference to me is wheels themselves.
Again, it is what they DON'T say it has.
One thing is for sure is they are not the higher quality rims the Solitaire has, but one review I read said they seemed to be 'plastic like'.

I asked on-line but you know how that goes sometimes.
Look for yourself, but if they are toy plastic rims {in my my best Chicago gansta type) 'Jus faget about it'. hehehe.

If the Link bike has cheap plastic rims, then it has cheap thin spokes too, and your motor will rip them both to shreds in no time.

If not, then the Link might very well be a comfortable bike for $160 delivered to put a separate motor drive on.
You will just need to do your own research on what I found as I have already ruled it out for a shift kit bike. But for a bike with shocks and dual V-brakes, it is half the price of Grubee bike.

May be a good starter bike that would beat the heck out of any Huffy, especially the CranJoke.
(yes, I started with one of them too)
Absolutely miserable to ride comfort wise after just a couple of miles constant riding.

ALL New Builders Looking for Bike Advice...

1. Front Shocks, seat post too if you can with the bike but not as much to add later unlike front shocks which can cost you as much as the bike itself when the beating you take riding over about 10MPH gives you and you want them.

Just like my analogy 'If a drive side tensioner were a good thing motorcycles would have them', this one is true too, 'if a motorcycle didn't need a front shock they wouldn't have one'.
Ever seen one without them, even a little 50cc dirt bike?

2. Soft Handebar Grips. Those hard plastic grips most every kit comes with an 'on the throttle' one, and another for the other side are in a word, atrocious. Unless your bike came with nice grips that would fit over the throttle barrel just get a $7 bag of foam grips. Even if you wear them out every month you have enough for a year, they will fit over the throttle, and your riding comfort level will double even with front shocks.

3. Brakes. Even just putting say a 48cc on any budget beach cruiser bike and relying only on that bikes coaster brake to stop fast if you need to is, well, I can't pick a single adjective for this one other than DON'T!!!!
Under no circumstances should you rely on a one wheel brake even if it is disc.

I have covered this a bit elsewhere but I am out of time tonight, but considering the topic I thought those 3 points really should be brought up again.

I know may of you new builders are on a budget and you don't think comfort is a concern.
Unless you are only going to be using your new MB for a leisurely mile or two at 15MPH rides around the neighborhood or quick trips to the store on occasion you will thank me for this advice.

It is also why I share it here, but that is just me.
Take it or leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
If ya wanna do like I did, pay a nickle more and go first class, get a Harley davidson bike, and you will have people pull you over to take pix of it like I do. Got a lot of money in it , but I think it's worth it. The 1st one I built was a Velo Glide, the local Harley shop owner bought it for his daughter for $5000.00, I only had $2500.00 in it and told him so. Here is my 2ed one.
Jim
98_harley_1.jpg
98_harley_4.jpg

Hello and thanks for reading and answering my questions before hand...

I have a couple questions on which bike would be better suited to install a Grubee skyhawk GT5 80cc/66cc Slant head engine kit..The choices I have narrowed it down too are a 26" Champagne Cranbrook cruiser bike sold by walmart I believe it weighs approximately 35-40 lbs and the other is a 26" mens roadmaster sport all terrain mountian bike sold by walmart as well..The specs on this one are as follows: Steel frame/Front suspension/18 speed gear...I dont really know the weight but if I had to guess I would say about 25lbs.

Please if anyone has some good insight on this it would be much appreciated, because as this would be my first build..Please take into consideration on speed and durability...If these arent good choices maybe name a good bicycle to mount it on and at a reasonable price as I am not rich and it must be a 26" or more...

Thank you so much.....shft.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I thought this must be a Wally misprint...

26'' Men's Roadmaster Mountain Sport All-Terrain Bike.

# Steel mountain bike frame geometry with suspension fork for smooth, stable ride
# 18-speed torque drive twist shifters change gears easily
# Linear pull brakes provide great breaking power
# Comfortable padded saddle
# Steel rims for control and durability
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 44.1
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 66.0 x 24.0 x 40.0

$74 delivered free.

I doubt the derailer would handle a shift kit, but $74 with dual V-brakes and front shock as long as the steel frame held up seems like it would be a heck of a lot better than a Cranbrook for a cheap bike.

For that price you could even buy a new quality 3-speed hub or good derailer back wheel and still be ahead, almost like just buying the front shocks and dual V-brakes and getting the rest of the bike for free.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks KC,
One of wallys bikes I am considering is the Sidewinder? Here is a pic. It does have a spring seatpost(not shown in the pic). I am putting a nice black front brake on my Op. Plan "B" gotta have one!
That bike has dual brakes...
* This Men's Schwinn Bicycle is perfect for on or off-road riding
* Schwinn hand-built trail-tuned steel frame
* Aluminum crown suspension fork provides shock-absorbing comfort
* Front and rear alloy linear pull brakes for sure-stopping power
* Shimano 21-speed drive-train with SRAM MRX Pro Grip Shifters for shifting efficiency and C-star brake lever.
* Schwinn quality sport saddle ensures a comfortable ride
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 42.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 65.9 x 16.1 x 37.8

It looks to be an inch shorter height wise and a couple of inches length wise than the bike I posted above. If you are not going to be using a Jackshaft then the gears don't really matter much and for half the price you could go through two Roadmaster's for what a Sidewinder costs, or better yet get a good dual pull brake lever, new comfortable seat with seat shock, good Kenda tires, and still be ahead ;-}