First start problems

GoldenMotor.com

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
Hi all,
After installing the kit on my bike i went to start it and with some tinkering i finally succeeded. Unfortunately i am unable to keep it running correctly. Here are a list of my problems

1. If i can get it to start, the engine will idle sometimes and once the throttle is moved it will immediately rev up like it is trying to take off. If i move the throttle again i can get it to come back down, the idle will then just slow until it dies. Regardless of what idle speed setting i have, it will do this.

2. I once got it to start and started to ride around the block, it would constantly 4-stroke with the slightest throttle movement, i then adjusted the c-clip to the richest setting and it still 4 strokes.

3. The throttle is basically non-responsive, there is relatively no fluctuation when the throttle is moved, either crappy idle or winding out sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i am getting spark as i got a nasty shock a few times off of the magneto cables.

Thanks

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Hi all,
After installing the kit on my bike i went to start it and with some tinkering i finally succeeded. Unfortunately i am unable to keep it running correctly. Here are a list of my problems

1. If i can get it to start, the engine will idle sometimes and once the throttle is moved it will immediately rev up like it is trying to take off. If i move the throttle again i can get it to come back down, the idle will then just slow until it dies. Regardless of what idle speed setting i have, it will do this.

2. I once got it to start and started to ride around the block, it would constantly 4-stroke with the slightest throttle movement, i then adjusted the c-clip to the richest setting and it still 4 strokes.

3. The throttle is basically non-responsive, there is relatively no fluctuation when the throttle is moved, either crappy idle or winding out sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i am getting spark as i got a nasty shock a few times off of the magneto cables.

Thanks

Rc i recon your still to rich, 4 stroking is a over rich symptom i would try the leanest setting top of the needle.

The idle screw will have to be played with a bit to get right, im allways adjusting mine.

Also you should not be getting shocked though any of the wires, spark will always take the path of least resistance ie you! so double check your connections replace the std sparkplug with an ngk B6HS
and good luck let us know how its goin!
steve

Edit you do have the brass throttle slide in the right way dont you it only goes in 1 way!!!

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Yes thats it. there is a notch all the way down 1 side, look down in where it goes there is a brass locator very small in 1 side of its bore. if its in the wrong way it wont seat properly.

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
so i set the mixture to the leanest setting and now here is what it does. I can get it to idle but it is extremely smoky. the rpms will also rise high and then start to drop to a point which it will stall, i have to twist the throttle a little to keep it from stalling and i can only keep it running by having it do this up and down sine curve idle.

spark plug is bp6hs
choke is off, will not start with choke on

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
ok so problem basically solved. I feel really stupid i am going to admit this. I took the air cleaner off and realized i was running with the choke on the whole time. Ive read the carb tuning pages but must have switched it in my head. So i cleaned out all the oil that had accumulated in the crankcase and got it to rev. Great that it is running and idling now, Bad that the vibration had shaken my BB lose. Shook lose the exhaust pipe, thus blowing the gasket and shaken loose every nut on the bike. Lock nuts here i come!!

BTW thank you all very much for helping me with my problem. If i have any more questions i will be sure to post again!

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
ok so problem basically solved. I feel really stupid i am going to admit this. I took the air cleaner off and realized i was running with the choke on the whole time. Ive read the carb tuning pages but must have switched it in my head. So i cleaned out all the oil that had accumulated in the crankcase and got it to rev. Great that it is running and idling now, Bad that the vibration had shaken my BB lose. Shook lose the exhaust pipe, thus blowing the gasket and shaken loose every nut on the bike. Lock nuts here i come!!

BTW thank you all very much for helping me with my problem. If i have any more questions i will be sure to post again!
did the same thing at 1 stage but the experience you gain is invaluable

When all is running right check to see if your not to lean as you may need to be a bit richer.
happy motoring!