Difference between 34t and 36t sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Is there a big difference between the 34 tooth and 36 tooth sprocket? Running a 36 is great in my opinion because above 23mph the vibrations go away and its nothing but smoothness and also my motor produces enough torque to not really feel a difference between the 44t and 36t.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The general rule of thumb is about 1 mph per tooth, with less teeth adding more speed. Therefore, a 34t would get you roughly 2mph more than a 36t. In actuality, you may not see much difference with losses from friction in the drivetrain. While we are on the subject, and inch of diameter on a belt pulley or wheel is equal to one tooth on a toothed gear. Therefore a 24" wheel would go 2mph slower than a 26" wheel. Just a little fyi on gear sizes.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
The general rule of thumb is about 1 mph per tooth, with less teeth adding more speed. Therefore, a 34t would get you roughly 2mph more than a 36t. In actuality, you may not see much difference with losses from friction in the drivetrain. While we are on the subject, and inch of diameter on a belt pulley or wheel is equal to one tooth on a toothed gear. Therefore a 24" wheel would go 2mph slower than a 26" wheel. Just a little fyi on gear sizes.
thanks! im not looking at top speed because when u get above 40 mph it gets a bit scary on a bicycle lol, but more in if there is any noticeable difference. Doesnt have to be big, jus a tad. im debating if i should move to a 34t sprocket so i can put my 36t on the spare bike I have, but then that changes my cruising speeds. I normally cruise at 25-30 by myself because my powerband is so smooth, but my spare bike can not keep up with me so i have to cruise around 20 which makes it jerky when letting off the throttle.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks! im not looking at top speed because when u get above 40 mph it gets a bit scary on a bicycle lol, but more in if there is any noticeable difference. Doesnt have to be big, jus a tad. im debating if i should move to a 34t sprocket so i can put my 36t on the spare bike I have, but then that changes my cruising speeds. I normally cruise at 25-30 by myself because my powerband is so smooth, but my spare bike can not keep up with me so i have to cruise around 20 which makes it jerky when letting off the throttle.
A well tuned carb and a good exhaust will have the spare bike cruising at 30mph easy with a stock engine and a 36T rear sprocket.

Map.wee.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I was running a 36 steel sprocket and switched to 34 alloy- even SMOOTHER, and that's the very word I described it when I posted it a couple of years back-

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35916

I wouldn't run it across any mountains, but here in flat Florida, it goes nicely with a stock 66 with stock NT Speed carb- I easily cruise at 25 to 30 with 27 x 1 1/4 wheels,

have pushed it up to 35 just to see (on the analog speedo) and it would go a little more even- but no need to

here's the latest incarnation in thread from last month:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=498796

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thats what im thinking as well. u know if the nt carbs are 5mm like my dellorto carb? Would like to tune it but then the spark plug when i checked before seemed good
Im pretty sure they're all 5mm I just solder and redrill mine to tune them, never replaced a jet, no sense in buying jets when its so easy just to solder and redrill them and get a fine tune on them that way, if it doesnt 4 stroke at cruise speed then you probably have an ok tune on it but if it does then you'll notice a performance increase by decreasing main jet size.

Map