break in running

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a bgf 80cc engine and it idles good at time and times it don't, is this normal at break in? Sometimes it wants to climb in idle and sometimes it runs good. The longer it runs the better it idles. Well when it is idling I can barely turn the screw to idle it down, It wants to die then. I can't get it to idle a decent idle. I'm hoping it's just because of it hasn't broke in yet. I'm sure it's not a air leak that is easy to find. I fixed all them that is a no brainer. I have spray down the intake at both ends none there, and replaced one seal and check both of them after each run. This is annoying.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
bgf usually comes with a rich main jet - during break in, I usually set the needle very lean until it gets a better seat on the rings

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well I have a new nt speed carb on it, and the stock nt ran the same tho. So what should I do about getting to idle decent wait for break in?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the needle is already set to leanest point, then I'd try dropping the float level a bit

other than that, I'd say just ride it a lot and look for oil spots that may appear & indicate some leakage somewhere

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I actually think the float could be drop a little because the carb sits a little tilted forward that might be the problem. Thanks. Some thing else to try. I hope that's it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
2-stroke engines are sometimes hard to keep a good idle because the oil starts to load up on spark plug... Use 24:1 for the break in & 32:1 after break in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your throttle cable tension. It could have the slide too high.
I agree. Make sure there is no binding in the cable or at the twist grip. Your problem, if you're certain there is no vacuum leak, sounds like the carburetor slide is not returning to the idle position everytime you release the throttle.

Remove the air cleaner and look into the carb throat while operating your throttle. Do it several times and watch the slide (barrel) closely to see that it drops completely every time you release the throttle. The engine doesn't need to be running to do this.

I also concur with the oil ratio suggestion. Ignore the kit instructions that tell you to use a 16:1 mix. That's too much oil. (While you're at it throw the instructions in the trash along with the kit spark plug boot)

Tom

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Yes I think I found it air leak. I'm going to change the z tube(off set) intake. I have another one here. I didn't like it because it's longer and it make the carb mount against the seat tube and,it's a tight fit. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the welds and it rev up pretty good. I never would of thought that the intake would leak. That's china for you!!

Last edited: