1911 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Hi, this is my first post.
I wanted to own a turn of the century motorcycle but was shocked at the price of one, so I decided to make one myself fabricating everything I could and using off the shelf low cost bicycle components whenever possible. I also wanted to make it California emissions compliant and legal to register as a moped. The reason for the moped is the one time fee for the lifetime plate. $18.00 and never again. Very inexpensive moped insurance. A M2 license is required however. CA defines mopeds as being 50cc's or less, 2 hp or less, peddle assisted power, and not able to go over 30 mph. I liked how ancient motorcycles were simple and a lot like modern mopeds, so I combined them. The engine is a Grubee Skyhawk at 50cc, with 2hp, and the bike is geared for 30 mph. You ride around 10 mph and dump the clutch and the engine fires up, just like the original. The 1911 indian single was a 500cc engine and had 4 hp. Very inefficient design due to low technology. The power, top speed, and look is virtually the same. I took liberties such as adding a front brake, which the original did not have. The headlamp is a 100 year old carbide motorcycle headlamp that I purchased on Ebay. I converted it to LED. Everywhere I go this thing draws crowds. It is unbelievable. Everyone likes a old motorcycle, even one that emulates one. I took it to the local HD dealership and got a lot of praise from the bikers. That felt good. The reasoning is simple. If you had a 100 year old Indian you would not ride it. It would be in your garage or in a museum. Too expensive, too fragile. It's a shame. This is a bike you can ride every day and is simple, inexpensive, and easy to work on. I'm toying with the idea of selling these on the side if someone really wants one. Gets about 130 mpg. I also posted a video on youtube under "1911 Indian ride" , thanks.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Excellent work! I love this bike, the attention to detail is great with all the little brackets, copper lines, and air intake. Great job!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Thanks everyone. I really love to ride this bike. Even non-gear heads and people who don't ride anything come up to ask questions and take pictures. A stinking lot of fun :)

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Welcome Cobrafreak. That's a fantastic bike! I love what you did with the motor. I'm with Darkhawk, great detail.

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Very, very nice outer look! Carbide flashlight, leather saddle and bag - make excellent look!

Very well made imitaton of old engine, Chinese engine well camouflaged, ant also thats why your Indian looks almost like real Indian!

Exhaust pipe (I really dont like its design in such engines) also well camouflaged!

Interesting intake filter - what from is it made?

And - my traditional advice - round shapes of cylinder head, I think, more "round" cylinder will look more vintage.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very, very nice outer look! Carbide flashlight, leather saddle and bag - make excellent look!

Very well made imitaton of old engine, Chinese engine well camouflaged, ant also thats why your Indian looks almost like real Indian!

Exhaust pipe (I really dont like its design in such engines) also well camouflaged!

Interesting intake filter - what from is it made?

And - my traditional advice - round shapes of cylinder head, I think, more "round" cylinder will look more vintage.
Good Idea about the rounding of the engine. I'll wait till I need to remove the engine for something to look at what I can do in that department. The Headlamp is an original Old Sol brand 100 year old carbide motorcycle lamp, although it looks like a flashlight of the day, is considerably larger. Its neat to think of all the motorcycles that it could have been mounted on at one time until it was retired in a barn and some picker found it and put it on Ebay for me to buy. To make the smallish engine look normal I needed to lengthen it in the frame to fill up air space. Traditionally the carburetor it just 3 inches from the cylinder, too close for proper perspective. I added 4" to the intake runner to get the carburetor out there and used a hammered brass ashtray to use as an air box housing which conceals the tiny stock OEM air filter element. Did any motorcycle company use a hammered brass air box? I don't know personally, but it looked "Steam Punk" to me and thought it was cool. Most everything that was done has a reason for why it was done that way. Lots of things done for proper period look. The challenge was to stay within the confines of CA legal moped law and make it both work well and look good.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That is a great build. I had to do a doubletake, I was like "ohhh wow, another person who could afford to just bid on an old Indian on E-bay, oh wait! That's a chinagirl!" A very impressive build, it sure fooled me :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That is a great build. I had to do a doubletake, I was like "ohhh wow, another person who could afford to just bid on an old Indian on E-bay, oh wait! That's a chinagirl!" A very impressive build, it sure fooled me :)
It only had me fooled for about a second, but I'm an Indian fanatic so that's saying something. This bike is a beautiful build, as well as a nice piece of art and Americana. I'm really starting to enjoy some of the works that have been turning out recently on the forum. I can only hope that, when I finish my Higgins build, it will turn a few heads here and there.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Here is a picture of the right hand side of the engine. A nice thing about the angle fire heads are that you can mount it sideways easy plug access. No difference in performance.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Cobrafreak, just wanted to say there are people out there riding old bikes like a 1911 Indian. I believe, like others, that they do not belong in living rooms or museums but out on the road. I build motorbikes to look and ride like the bikes that were built 100 years ago, they are fully functional bikes. Check out my youtube videos by searching by "LouieMCman". There are only antiques on there now, I haven't shot any video any of my modern creations yet but there are coming soon.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Here is a picture of the right hand side of the engine. A nice thing about the angle fire heads are that you can mount it sideways easy plug access. No difference in performance.
Where did you find that gas tank and what did it cost? My grandfather use to ride an 1907 or there abouts when it was new and I want to try my hand at building a repo.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Where did you find that gas tank and what did it cost? My grandfather use to ride an 1907 or there abouts when it was new and I want to try my hand at building a repo.
I hand fabricated the whole bike, minus engine, seat, wheels, etc. You want to fabricate a fuel tank? Go to this link and watch me make mine:
? RATRODBIKES.COM ? • View topic - Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

I photographed the entire build and basically show how everything was done as I did it. Feel free to ask any questions! We need more old looking bikes on the road.