minnesota laws

GoldenMotor.com

pinjas

Nov 27, 2010
St. paul, MN
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.223 'thereyago' really had it alright. There seems to be zero change from 2009-2010, lets hope the law stays basically the same for 2011.

I've done a fair amount of research and I think I grasp the law pretty well. Don't go over 30mph, the motor must be under 50cc. This is the classification for motorized bicycle. If you go 'above' these two details it's classified as a motorcycle.

You don't need to register it, no title or plates, none of that stuff.

When riding a motorized bicycle, please ride without your head up your a55. Be respectful and all that. It's very important that you don't ride on sidewalks. I don't suggest riding on sidewalks anywhere, ever, with just a plain bicycle.

I'd go on, but I recommend clicking https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.223 <<< THIS LINK and reading the sections that have bold words before it. I've read the whole thing. Even if you have no license, you could probably get away with it forever so long as you follow those rules and refrain from being a jacka55. usflg

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Hi I live in Minnesota and have been trying to go "legit" as my bike will be my summer transport. So far this is what I have found out:

Motorized bicycles are mopeds in the state of Minnesota; therefore, you must have a headlight (high/low beam may be required it depends on who is working at the dmv that day), taillight, horn, brake light, registration, and liability insurance.

I have been told so far by everyone I have talked to at the DMV that to register my bike that I should just bring in a picture of the bike, and any receipts I might have, as well as any identification numbers on my bike.

If you go to any DMV station they should have a motorcycle/moped booklet, this booklet contains info on motorized foot scooter, segway, moped, motorized bicycle, motorcycle, and electric bicycle laws.

My plan in case I run into any problems is right now I am building my bike to the specs outlined in the dmv issued booklet, and I will keep my bike insured and registered (of course this will be the hardest part) and I will also always carry the booklet with me just in case.

Hope this helps and ride safe!
usflg

pinjas

Nov 27, 2010
St. paul, MN
Hi I live in Minnesota and have been trying to go "legit" as my bike will be my summer transport. So far this is what I have found out:

Motorized bicycles are mopeds in the state of Minnesota; therefore, you must have a headlight (high/low beam may be required it depends on who is working at the dmv that day), taillight, horn, brake light, registration, and liability insurance.

I have been told so far by everyone I have talked to at the DMV that to register my bike that I should just bring in a picture of the bike, and any receipts I might have, as well as any identification numbers on my bike.

If you go to any DMV station they should have a motorcycle/moped booklet, this booklet contains info on motorized foot scooter, segway, moped, motorized bicycle, motorcycle, and electric bicycle laws.

My plan in case I run into any problems is right now I am building my bike to the specs outlined in the dmv issued booklet, and I will keep my bike insured and registered (of course this will be the hardest part) and I will also always carry the booklet with me just in case.

Hope this helps and ride safe!
usflg
Methinks they just want yer money and don't know any better. There are specific classifications for each type of vehicle. Motorized bicycle is one of them. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.223 This is the current motorized bicycle law in Minnesota, there is no registration nor title.

You are looking at the wrong 'stuff'. Motorcycles and mopeds are not motorized bicycles. Simply because a segway is listed in that list doesn't mean that it must be registered and driving it doesn't require liability insurance. I think when you go to a DMV and talk about something that sounds like a motorcycle, they might think it's a motorcycle. I could be really wrong, but the current motorized bicycle law reads without mention of requiring a title, registration, or insurance. I think at some point they did require those three things, but that is no longer the case if that was true.

muttomatic

Nov 9, 2009
MN
I was just trying to figure this all out today. Glad I found this thread!

And for all you Minnesota riders near the Twin Cities my friends and I are having a spring opener April 30th. Ride starting in the morning(still planning the route). End at the Hexagon Bar were there will be a show for trophies and bands playing. Most likely giveaways and raffles too. Had one last fall. Contact me if'n y'all wanna come!

Mutt

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Thank you sooooo much for that link... I will just carry a copy of that page with me. I really can't thank you enough! Now I don't need to spend the time/ money on lights, registration, and insurance! Woohoo! dance1