engine floods its self

GoldenMotor.com

TINKERER

Mar 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My newly installed 80cc kit floods when it sits. yes the fuel line is shut off and you can actually watch the fuel drain into the carb through the line (after about 10 hours) what is going on here? I have to pull the plug and pedal for a while to dry the cylinder out then put the plug back in and it runs like a top.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That was my thought to... I know you said you had it turned off but just for the sake of being thorough the off is a quarter clockwise turn right?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My newly installed 80cc kit floods when it sits. yes the fuel line is shut off and you can actually watch the fuel drain into the carb through the line (after about 10 hours) what is going on here? I have to pull the plug and pedal for a while to dry the cylinder out then put the plug back in and it runs like a top.

The fuel should not be getting past the float valve - if the float is up, the valve should be shut. Suspect trash in that orifice. If fuel is leaking after that and draining the bowl then you need to find out what is open to drain the bowl.

Where is the fuel going? Coming out the main jet? The jiggler?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
BEFORE you open your carb, turn the inline fuel switch to off, then remove the gas line at the carb to see if it is leaking with the switch off.
Always do the least invasive things first.

since your bike runs well after you clear the flooding, I would suspect the carb only after I had eliminated everything else.

However keep in mind I'm the guy who seized his engine before I really got it to run so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Can't argue with the good deacon on that. If you want to open the carb in the future, see Norm's pictures and ask me. I've been inside that carb more than......well......I almost wrote something unsavory. It's pretty simple, really.

TINKERER

Mar 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I think what was happening was a combo of things, the first thing i had the throttle cable adjustments tight as possible so the slide was resting slightly higher than it should. Second since the slide was much higher than it was supposed to be the idle screw had to be in farther something like three turns out, I re adjusted and everything seems fine, I took it out for a run and it didnt bog at full throttle.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good for you....

The first piece of advice I got from my dad about fixing things was, "when something goes wrong, first look at the simplest answer then work toward the hard ones."

Of course these days you go to an auto repair shop and it's find the most expensive thing it might be then replace it."

I had a broken joint in a heater control cable and wound up buying a new heater control from the dealer and paying the labor to have it installed. When it didn't fix the problem, they found the broken cable and taped the plastic joint back together.

That will be 250 bucks Mr Gurkin. Oh no charge for the black tape. What a deal...

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
If you really think about it , the position of the slider should not have ANY effect on your problem but if I am wrong I'd say I've learned something new.
I'd go with the dirt thing myself or a bad float level.
This should be interesting.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I see - the needle (and slide) was pulled up in sort of permanent suspension. Good one. I think others have had similar issues by not slacking the cable just a mouse hair.

But isn't this what the idle screw does???

TINKERER

Mar 22, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I see - the needle (and slide) was pulled up in sort of permanent suspension. Good one. I think others have had similar issues by not slacking the cable just a mouse hair.

But isn't this what the idle screw does???
You would think so, but if the cable is too tight then the idle screw has little or no adjustment, I'll see what happens tonight

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i like your signiture. you all had a hard winter like us and the potholes are everywhere. afraid i will disapear in one on my bike lol