new, got a 60's cruiser and a snowblower engine.....help

GoldenMotor.com

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Share time: I got me a 3HP Briggs & Stratton I pulled off an old lawn edger. I'm done trying to learn the mysteries of the china girl engine. I'm up for a 4 stroke DIY bike. Gimme 4 stroke torque.

Last edited:

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California
that looks crazy intense

just a warning out for everyone out there
bent front forks, plus motor hahahha equals broke front forks
i need some knew ones
lucky for me i didn't get hurt, i was riding it for the second time and the roads are fairly bumpy around here and hit one good one, and heard a **** of a noise so i stopped and took a look and at the base of wear the forks meet the frame was done with.

so now i need to get new forks for the bike
and i have no vehicle besides this so i grabbed a cheapo and threw the kit on there and i am currently riding it

120+ miles in 3 days
60 yesterday. Just around the peninsula, from my work to town, to old town and back twice

i ride a lot, oh and by the way the 68cc gets me up all the hills around here no problem and let me say that these are no small hills there a lots and they are monsters, very very large hills

i need a light
and i am thinking of getting another just to have two just incase

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
oh and i convinced two others to get them
one doesn't ride his a lot
the other rode his like a made man he was riding 60 miles a day, its a long way to work in the middle of nowhere and he ended up crashing, his coaster brake arm wrapped around the hub, and he had nearly worn through his tire from the chain rubbing it

its out of commission at the moment, but he hopes to fix it soon

I 'll post picks soon
but new home has no internet so its tough

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
weekend fun
i am not sure what you are asking me?

ohhh i got a headlight from zoombicycles that has a little generator
so i hooked that up, cause i ride my bike in the dark home from work when i work the night shift. So yesterday i tried it out. and after like 3 miles it died. I think it overheated. Anyone have any ideas on this. i will start a new post to check

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
weekend fun
i am not sure what you are asking me?

ohhh i got a headlight from zoombicycles that has a little generator
so i hooked that up, cause i ride my bike in the dark home from work when i work the night shift. So yesterday i tried it out. and after like 3 miles it died. I think it overheated. Anyone have any ideas on this. i will start a new post to check
Yeah, LOL I don't know if your generator is 6 or 12 Volts. My light setup was a 12V generator. Put it on the bike right out of the box, tested it in the garage and blew the bulb almost instantly! Tried a automotive bulb with higher wattage and it lasted longer. Long enough to get so hot and bright that it melted the plastic reflector it was attached to! Can you say SUPER NOVA?
THEN I tested the output of the generator and found that with no load it was putting out about 40V. AH-ha moment. I only bought the generator setup to keep a battery charged (which it does very nicely) but just HAD to try it without the battery (and load) 1st. Cost me a new headlight, but now I have spare for parts.
Good luck- Wayne

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Yay! My old orange Briggs & Stratton engine runs like a champ! Finally got a day to mess with it. Got a Centrifugal clutch on it. My chain comes tomorrow. Mounting the engine to the bike is the biggest logistical challenge, but I think I have the solution. Hopefully I can get it done before the snow flies.

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Yeah, I wanted to shoot a video of the engine running while I held it by that handle. I love the sound of a single cylinder 4 stroke engine. I seen on some dirtbike forums they call 'em thumpers.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to mount the engine on the bike. Like I said on Diceman's thread, I gotta start welding. Welding makes so many things possible.

Last edited:

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Cody hows that bike coming????

I have mine taken apart and in a box being shipped to Syracuse, which is where i am now
the day before i left i killed it though
i was riding home in the pouring rain, Hurricane Bill, and i had about a 10 mile ride in the blackness, no light, but she died after about 2. And when i took the cover off the flywheel/magneto cover it was filled with water. So i have checked everything and i am almost possitive i killed the coil????
i have another engine too but i don't want to part it, so i will just order the part when it gets to me.

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
Beak & WayneC,
I had a bike generator on a 35 mph motorbike and it blew bulbs immediately too. I was going 2 times the speed the genset was designed for. I found a rubber grommet that fit over the generator's little drive roller which doubled its diameter (which cut it's rotation speed in half) and it worked fine. It worked just as well when I arranged for the bike generator to friction drive off a circle of leather glued to the constantly rotating inside part of the centrifugal clutch.

They are actually alternators, as I found when trying to charge a small burglar alarm battery and trying to power a radio. I got nothing but AC hum, so a .79 Radio Shack rectifier turned it to DC. Then it charged the battery which moderated the juice going to the light, almost the same brightness stopped as at full speed, and the DC powered the radio directly or off the battery. Your bike generator charged your battery and measured 40V no load so it apparently is a better model that is already rectified to DC.

Any small DC (battery) powered permanent magnet electric motor will work as a generator if spun up by a power source. So, you could use any number of small motors like off a rechargeable weed eater, a car's heater fan motor, a Barbie car's motor, you get the idea.
Something that size (find its original wattage as a motor as a guide) would power strong lights, keep a good sized battery charged for a number of long haul touring purposes, like operating and charging your GPS, possibly heated clothing (DIY sites on the net), MP3 player, cell phone, camera batteries, PDA etc.
There are many websites describing how to use small generator power for your electronics when on the road.

Last edited:

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Wow, Denbecr. You got me thinking there. I could wire my bike up with head, tail and brake lights, a horn and then register the sucker.

But I'm still at least four steps away from riding the thing. I need to finish mounting the engine, run the chain, mount a saddle on it, and install brakes. Oh yeah, and foot pegs.

And I'll shoot and post photos. I am very excited.

PS- it's going to be ugly, but I'm hopeful it will be fun.

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Denbecr,

"Your bike generator charged your battery and measured 40V no load so it apparently is a better model that is already rectified to DC."

Nope! I made a bridge rectifier circuit to keep the battery charged. Gen. is 12V AC output. My 12V 7Ah battery keeps my dual 30w (10w flood/20w spot) bulbs plus LED headlight and taillight going for just over 3 hrs (non-continuous) without the charger. With the gen. recharging the bat. it gives about another hour burn time. If I don't use the halogen headlights, it will actually overcharge the bat. and I have to lift the gen off the wheel.