need some help

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
lets say I was going to put a gx35 inside my frame, what transmission should I use? I am avoiding jackshafts, and shift kits because of simplicity and legality (not allowed multiple gears.)

right now I am looking at either a 4g or a pitbike torque converter. I am aiming for something that is relatively easy to attach.

if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, or a particular method/part they want to let me know about please do so.
thanks for the help.

also if anything I said up there is total madness and you are horrified to have read it, please tell me. I'm still pretty new to this.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Horrified? No sir. Get some!
I would say that I hope your frame and brakes are up to the task.
Also, a torque converter is a proven solution. I do not have experience with the set up you mention, but someone will come along shortly with specifics, I'm sure.
There are threads that discuss it, but I can't remember one off the top.

Good luck!

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi GoreWound. You could mount the gx35 to a q-matic, or fit a staton-inc outside-drive gearbox to the gx35 and mount that in the frame with the giant stiletto mounts to a horizontal piece of pipe with the appropriate diameter and the ends flattened using silverbear's hockey puck mount, or you could fit the giant stiletto mounts to a horizontal plate and use that "U" mount on the down tube. At any rate, Dave staton could make a mount as you prefer I think.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
most of the torque converters I am seing out there seem to be being used on higher cc motors, am I going to see a serious loss of power through driveline drag if I go with a torque converter on a GX50?

Motor awesomeness

Nov 3, 2014
Illinois
Yes if you use a torque converter for higher cc's (higher stall point) it will cause a lot of heat and drivetrain losses. Go for a low stall converter.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
oh wow, I wish that website would ship to canada...
I am probably going to have to buy the transmission from Daymak as they seem to be the only supplier I have access too.

now comes the real question: is that X2 CVT better, worse, or comparable to a TAV2?
the X2 is built for this size motor and this size bike (more or less), but the TAV2 does overdrive. also some of the info I have found on the TAV2 suggests it is good for motors at low as 2HP, how true is that?

anyone out there got any hands on with these devices?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
well I have started looking around for the engine and transmission and have hit a rather perturbing wall.
it seems the GX50 is not for sale in canada (maybe just ontario) the only ones that are out there are individually imported. meaning that if I want to buy one I have to find someone to do that for me.

in addition to this, comet torque converters, similar torque converters, and moreover go-kart parts in general are not really available in ontario according to all the Motorsports and small engine places I have called today. Except the place who told me "It's all electric now" on the phone, after their online support told me they did go-kart parts.

so here is where I am sitting now, the only place I can find a GX50 clone for sale is the guy who originally sold me the 2-stroke that died on me. Linky
I am more or less ready to just buy that kit, I have already asked about just getting the engine and he said no. but, I have shot off an email to Gasbike.net aksing two important questions: what his shipping rates to ontario are, and if he will sell the torque converter from the 212 kit on it's own. if gasbikes answers are satisfactory then I am gonna do that, but I am more than ready to see really huge shipping costs here.

ultimately I need to be able to import the engine, and buy the torque converter from someone who can ship them to me for under ~$100 for it to be worth it over just buying that other kit. even though I really want that CVT.

if anyone knows of a seller of either of these items in canada please let me know, I am unable to find one.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The TAV2 will not work on the little Huasheng.

The X2 CVT works well on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49CC-COMPLETE-ENGINE-2-STROKE-SUPER-POCKET-BIKE-ELE-G-RED-H-EN04R-/181174961883?vxp=mtr&hash=item2a2ede86db

Here is the whole thing on a bike:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57161

Just remember the output rotation on the CVT is the reverse of the input, so the drive chain is on the rider's right side.

I am sure you can find an e-bay vendor that will ship to canada.

The CVT's are all over e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-X1-X2-Ninja-Pocket-Bike-CVT-Transmission-Gearbox-H-TM03-/160962220312?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257a189118&vxp=mtr

It pulls right from a stop, no pedaling.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
The TAV2 will not work on the little Huasheng.

[...]

Just remember the output rotation on the CVT is the reverse of the input, so the drive chain is on the rider's right side.
ah, the first thing is something I was quite worried about. I really want that overdrive though. is it not possible to get a torque converter like that rated for as low as 2HP? or is that just the sales guys reaching?

the second thing there is news to me. I had not considered that, is that something that it is possible to change? is this a common feature on CVTs and torque converters, or just a feature of the X2 CVT? I can still probably use this but I would need to either switch what side my pedal-chain goes to or use a jackshaft (more money)

ugh, at this point I think I am going to end up getting a t-belt drive just to get the thing running again, worry about CVTs later if I can. I just really want to put some variable ratios on this bike, I may be being overly optimistic about it but I feel like having low to high gearing will pull the most capability out of such a small engine. something that would be way easier to accomplish if manually operated gearing was legal here...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The GX50 is a high reeving engine about 7,000 rpm's, so that part is good. But it has that little gear box on that changes direction.............Curt

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I am still waiting for some email back, but at this point it looks like I am going to have to buy a kit that comes with a t-belt single speed transfer case. I may at some point in the future upgrade the transmission but that bridge will be crossed when I get to it i guess.

that x2 cvt, how possible it it to change it's parts out? if the shaft the output sprocket on can be changed for a longer one with a support bracket added to the bike i might be able to use one and still drive the left side, but that is more engineering than I am ready to do right now. I need my mobility back first.

once I get a shipping quote from BlowByU I will compare that to the price of the huasheng kit from motorboy and decide.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The pocket bike CVT has a 5:1 reduction gearbox that reverses the drive direction.

The actual CVT runs from about 2.6:1 reduction to about .8 overdrive. It is a hoot on the 29'er.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
The pocket bike CVT has a 5:1 reduction gearbox that reverses the drive direction.

The actual CVT runs from about 2.6:1 reduction to about .8 overdrive. It is a hoot on the 29'er.
if the 5:1 output box could be removed you would in theory have the correct drive direction but you would need to machine a new cover plate for the side of the CVT unit, and also you would need to make a new shaft that replaces the CVT belt output shaft with a longer one with a chain sprocket on the end. then the whole thing would need to be set up with the right ratio to the rear wheel to make up for the lost 5:1 reduction.

OR

you could mount the engine with the shaft on the right-hand side of the bike, attach the CVT, then take the sprocket off of the output shaft from the CVT and extend it to the left-hand side of the bike. it would need support structure and bearings, but it should work.

one of those two things is likely in my future (or some other idea) but in the immediate I will go with single speed gearing. that way if I save up and buy one of those CVTs I can tinker with it all I want and the bike is still running.

fortunately I have a clam-shell adapter already so if I need to change my rear sprocket it will be easy.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have had one apart and the shaft goes all the way through and into the gear box,so could be doable...........Curt