My third build

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Well I guess it is not actually my third build since I have built bikes for other people, but this is the third bike I have built for myself. My first cruiser was an OP Roller and my second was a Cranny. Decided to do another Cranny this time since I enjoyed the last one.

The last one I built was over a year ago and there are a few things I can't seem to remember. The first dilemma I am having is trying to decide what rear sprocket I used on my last cranny build? Since I no longer have that bike I am unable to check. Seems like I may have used a 41 tooth, but it is possible that I used a 44. My new kit came with a 44 tooth, but I have a 41 tooth on the shelf I could try. I hate messing with those sprockets once I get them set...so hoping I make the right choice from the start. Thinking I will probably go with the 41, but if anyone thinks a guy my size (6'2" / 230lbs) would benefit more from the 44....let me hear your thoughts on the matter.

The kit I bought this time is supposed to be a 66cc Flying Horse. It is the black version and supposed to have more power and is also supposed to have the better bearings as well. Just looks like any other kit I have purchased in the past, but hopefully there claims of improvement are accurate. I did notice they quit using the white wire which is a plus and the engine castings seem to have improved as well. I did order a long pipe for it from BGF. Like the way how the long pipe puts the noise and fumes behind the rider, but I will probably run the stock muffler for awhile. I also intend to start this engine right off using opti-2 100:1. In the past I have broken them in on dino oil at 40:1, but not sure if there was ever any real benefit to doing that? May take a bit longer to get the rings seated using the synthetic, but just going to start out with the Opti-2 this time.

I will get some photos posted and maybe even some video of the maiden voyage here in the next day or so.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I run a 41 on my c/b and like it better than the 44, the lower rpm with the 41 gives mine a much better ride. It takes a little more pedaling to start off but the cruise is good. I'm 6'1 210.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd go with the 41T sprocket. With your terrain slightly the higher gear will just make for a smoother ride. If you have any hills, they're going to be a lot smaller than the ones I ride and I've had very good luck and all round performance from a 40T. Of course I'm a lightweight so that plays into it too.

As for breaking in using Opti-2, The last five engines I've had were all done that way. In fact Opti is not a true synthetic but a blend. My engines seem to break in within a couple or three gallons burned. Just my experience though.

You might need to tune the carburetor a little leaner with a 100:1 mix. Less oil means more fuel in the fuel to air ratio. But I'd hold off on going to a smaller jet until you get a few miles on the engine.

Keep us posted and show us your progress with photos.
Good luck, Ray.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks for the tips fellows. I did go ahead and mount the 41 tooth sprocket. Took it out to the street and she fired up fine running the Opti-2. I did add one ounce of Klotz (Castor) to the mix for my first gallon...just to get the bearings a nice coat of lubrication for the first tank full.
However she is a real dog running overly rich. I'll run it around rich for a bit, but think I will move the C clip up a notch here soon and then check my plug. Been really hot and humid last few days...so the engine would probably be happier leaned out a pinch.

I did take a few pics. Hope to take a bit of video in the next day or so.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
A few other things I wanted to mention for anyone else looking to build a motorized cranny. This is my second cranny build and there are a few things I remembered to incorporate in this build that I had done on my previous build. I did end up replacing the stock fenders on my previous cranny build, but I did run the stock fenders for while before I made the upgrade. One thing I found that is a pretty good idea when using the stock fenders is to use JB weld around all the mounting tabs. It worked well on my last cranny to prevent stress cracking and I am hopeful it will do as well on this current build at least until I decide to upgrade the fenders.

One other safety item that I would suggest on the cranny is to make sure all the spokes are snug. Kinda like the china girl engines...the Huffy Cranbrooks are also a China product and loose parts are the norm. So it pays to check every nut and bolt in my opinion and blue loc-tight everything you can. In the three builds I have done..I believe it has served me well to check and then double check every nut, bearing, seal and bolt.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
A photo of my previous cranny build to show where my current cranny build is heading. I have come to think that all my builds should have springer forks. They really help absorb some of those Illinois pot holes. So that will probably be an upgrade I try to incorporate into my current build quickly.

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Seeing the straight plug head makes me wonder if that's a 40mm stroke engine, a lot has been said on the forum about slant heads on 38mm stroke engines and straight plug heads on 40mm stroke engines. You didn't happen to measure it did you?

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
You are very observant Greg. You know...I didn't even notice the plug was straight up until you posted that. After I read your post it then dawned on me that that all the previous builds I have done have all had slanted plugs.
When you refer to stroke I assume you are referring to the stroke of the piston?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
66cc engines have a 38mm stroke from tdc to bdc, 69cc engines have 40mm stroke. The last engine I bought had a slant head and is a 38mm stroke, since I tear a new engine down to clean and do a few mods I checked the stroke before removing the cylinder.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That's some good information Greg. I will have to investigate. I build up my own race engines for my racing go kart and pay great attention to whats inside. Sounds like I need to pay more attention to my little china girls as well and get a bit more familiar with the specs and inner workings. Didn't ever think there was a nickles difference between any of them, but it appears there is.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Well I have added a few new things to my cranny I thought I would share.

Added an "M" shaped bipod kickstand. Had to do a bit of modifying to get it to swing up a bit higher so as to prevent any dragging if laying the bike over in a fast and tight turn. After modifying the stop position to swing up higher, I am quite happy with it. Hope I don't have to do it very often, but the bipod will make it easier to change or repair a tire....especially out on the road.

I also added a nice low profile air filter to my little 66cc "Happy Time". Looks to be a huge improvement over the stock filter and the engine really seems to like it. There is a noticeable difference that can be felt when pulling a hill. Good quality fuel and air filters are money well spent in my opinion and should help extend the life of the engine. Definitely not going to hurt!

My next additions will be a new and more comfortable Avenir cruiser seat and springer front forks. If a guy wants to make a few 25 to 50 mile scenic cruises.....the bike has to be comfortable to ride. The new seat and springer should address this issue nicely.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That 'Cranny' is looking fine. :) That gold and black color scheme is just too cool.

I spent the day fabricating a locking mechanism for my bike rack. Now if someone tries to steal it off my pickup they'll have to take the bike, the rack and the rear of my chassis. Looks like more work than the bike is worth.

We need to get some good videos, Ray. Really looking forward to our ride. See you in late July.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
That 'Cranny' is looking fine. :)

We need to get some good videos, Ray. Really looking forward to our ride. See you in late July.

Tom
Thanks for the kind words for the Cranny. It is not a Nirve Switchblade like I want, but it should do well for awhile I hope.

I think I may have us covered in the video department. I have a real nice pair of video sunglasses that shoots video from between my eyes. I also have a generic GoPro with a handlebar mount that shoots some good video. And if that is not enough I can even stop to take some aerial video with one of my video equipped helicopters or my little drone that shoots HD video.

I am planning to document the trip with some good photos and video. Going to be a good time..so I want to make sure it is captured on film and photos for future enjoyment.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey guys reading about the upcoming ride makes me envious, several of my friends ride but we cant find the time to get a group together. We have some good country roads to ride also, just got to find the time.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Well now I can make the long ride without my arms getting pounded numb. Got my springer forks installed today. They really help smooth out the ride. Just waiting to get my new cruiser saddle installed and I should be riding Cadillac style then.lol

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Got my Avenir Cruiser saddle installed and took a 20 mile round trip cruise. I would like to say it was like riding on clouds and that there was no butt ache, but it can still get a bit uncomfortable 10 miles in, but it is better then the stock seat. I think my buns just need to get a bit more conditioned for longer rides.

If I stop and take a stretch every 10 mile or so....I think I can manage the 50 mile round trip I am planning on at the end of the month.

I did notice that the new seat sits higher then the stock seat in its lowest position....so I cut off the upper down tube section and run a bolt thru to get myself as low as possible in the saddle. More comfortable the lower I get and handling also improves.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
My next project is to see if I can finally get my long pipe installed. I tried mounting it a week or so ago, but the pipe was not cooperating. It was in the way of the pedals and is going to need quite a bit of tweaking and possibly rewelding the mounting flange in order to get it in closer to the frame and clear the pedals.

I have used this same pipe on my previous cranny build and it went on pretty good without much effort, but this one the bends seem to be off and the flange welded on in thee wrong position for optimal pedal clearance.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ray,
Take a look in my profile, my photo album, and look at the saddle on that beige and brown bike. The one with the Norton decals on the tank. I built a new seat for that bike just because I wanted something that looked different. I still have that seat you see in the pictures. If you're interested I'll throw it in my truck and bring it. It might be a bolt on for the Cranny, and it is comfy. My skinny butt loved it.

Tom