Can't get motor to start

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Ok.

So you've made sure you have fuel getting into the motor.
You can see a spark when you pull the plug and lay it on the motor (this means that your CDI is most likely ok btw).
Clutch is adjusted properly and we'll assume the plug is gapped correctly (a gapper is only $0.99 at the auto store.)

hmm....

make sure where the intake connects to the cylinder is completely sealed, and also where the carb connects to the intake. some high-temp RTV sealant is a good thing here. use it on both sides of the gasket, and smear a bit on the intake before installing the carb.

Make sure the head bolts are torqued properly.

I don't really see why pressing the kill switch would cause the motor to backfire anyway...how did you have the kill switch hooked up?

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
check list:

kill switch....
Wireing....
Fuel line...
Crap in carb....
spark plug...
tighten clutch...

if it still doesnt want to go, i whould start replace stuff, like the spark plug wire, sick bike parts has a very nice one..

but well get it runnin

sami

Nov 8, 2008
Toronto
Okay,
I too agree its time to start replacing stuff: new CDI and carb should be in on Friday. I'm going to buy a new plug wire locally too. The wiring is good and I completely disconnected the kill switch. I'll definitely try the intake sealant on the new carb. And Motormac, I'm around Islington but until the end of the month I'll be in Ottawa. I really wish I could take you up on the offer, thanks.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
Sami, plz tighten your clutch plate.

i had a 80cc new, and ran it for a 10 mile ride the 1st night, then that morning, i whouldnt start.

i did every thing, and then started replaceing every thing.

i have a new spark plug, CDI, wire and boot, Mag, Carb, air filter and all seals.
i even brong it down to my macnic friend, but we did figure it out.

even three weeks later
AND it still had the same "wont start" problem. and then i just desiedid to tighten the clutch, and wa-la it started, and shot from under me.

its been running with know problems seence. just try tighting your clutch, it only take 10mins, its free, and it COULD work.

just do it and let us know.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Not a problem Sami, though I am pretty sure your problem is carburator related, I think you got a bit of crud around the needle in the carb, its an easy fix. A new carb will be good to get your bike running too,Im 10 minutes away from Islington on my M.B. in High Park,so if you ever need help let me know. Mac

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
It's quite possible that it had a small crack in it allowing moisture to get in.

I noticed mine had somehow developed a small crack in it by the mounting screws and I put JB Weld on it. So far I haven't had a problem (so far).

Good to hear your toolin' down the road again hey :D

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
Sami how did you wire the bike?
I bought the kit and out of the motor comes a black, blue and white connector
out of the CDI box comes a black wire with a double ending, and a blue wire with a double ending.
and then the kill switch
has the yellow/red wire
and the green wire.

i don't understand how to do the kill switch

I also can not get my bike running D:

:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
CDI is black box with spark plug wire coming out of it

black CDI wire to black engine wire

blue CDI wire to blue engine wire

any color kill wire to blue, other kill wire to black

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, you wire as mentioned above (leave off the kill wires if you're confused), then you take out the spark plug and roll the bike with plug held against a groung (muffler nut is good) - look to see if plug has a spark