bought ebike kit and might have screwed up

GoldenMotor.com

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
hi,

I bought a 26 inch front wheel ebike kit (48v 1000w) and realized that my bike, a 2012 specialized cross trail, has 28 inch wheels.

I got such a good deal on this thing. Saved around 100 bucks. Do I need to return it? Can I just put 26 inch wheels on my rear and go w/ 26's? There are really two issues. One, will it work? Two, if it does, will the performance suffer?

Please, any advice will be appreciated.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Why not have your existing rim laced onto the ehub you've gotten? Specialized claims it's a "durable, double-walled 700c alloy rim" and a relace is usually only $40 at most...

It will take a custom spoke length due to the hub's size, but that's rarely an issue other'n wait time ;)

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
I could not find the size of the rim. I measured it and thought it was 28 inches. Its 700cc? Where did you find that? Whats the difference? I thought cc's was a measure of liquid.

That is an interesting idea and something I had not thought of. I would rather pay $40 for someone to place hub motor onto same rim. Is that something fairly doable at most bike shops you think?

Thanks for the input

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No worries, I got the Specialized info here: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2012/crosstrail/crosstrail & there's far too much info regarding rim sizes here: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html - but I'd not sweat the details, it's more than fairly doable - I've had a coupla hub motors relaced onto different rims as the stock rims included w/the hubs aren't always the best, or simply don't match what I've got lol

I'd jus' bring the ehub & the rim you want into your local bike shop, due to the custom length spokes the math gets tricky - but that's what they get paid for :D

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I got mine done for $40, but I had to buy the spokes.

So $80 for me.

The cool thing is you can cross a 700C wheel.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was able to get mine done way out here in the middle of the atlantic. any bicycle shop should be able to do it for you. i used an alex da 16 rim and ordered stainless black spokes for it

Attachments