break in

GoldenMotor.com

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I've used about 3 tankfuls now and I'm at 20:1. As soon as the 3d tank is done I'm going to 24:1 and consider it broke in. It runs much better than the first 2 tanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The initial break-in or ring seating is done relatively quickly....say the first hour of operation, most of that being done in the first few minutes. A very critical time during break-in and can make or break an engine. You should fire up the engine, let it warm by riding the bike gently for the first minute or so, then gradually accellerate up to about 1/2 throttle, the slowly de-cellerate for twice the amount of time you took to accellerate (ie 10 sec. up, 20 sec. down..) Do this several times (tedious sometimes when you wanna just go). After several cycles like this, begin increasing your speed each time, and after a few cycles like that, let it cool, then go ride the thing. Use a lot of different throttle settings and engine speeds for the first tankfull.

Do not "coast" down long grades with the throttle at idle- EVER. Either "blip" your throttle every couple seconds, or pull in the clutch and let it idle. Long, downhill runs with no throttle starve the engine of oil.

I have noticed the operation of the bike as a whole, but particularly the engine, seems to get gradually smoother for the first few hundred miles. 3-400 being the magic number for me.

I would go to 24:1 after the first tank.