Need Help..Oil Coming out of Carbuerator

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I've got a Titan XC35 and using it as a FD for the wife. It hasn't been ridden for a month or so. Decided to take a ride but the pull start would not move like it was frozen. Took the rope pull cover off and sure enough the engine would not turn in the right direction but it would turn in the opposite direction freely. Checked the oil level and it was normal. I then took a screw driver and inserted in one of the rope pull rotor holes and managed to get the engine to turn freely. I re-installed the rope pull cover and tried to start the engine. After several pulls I heard a hissing sound and saw oil coming out of the carbuerator. Is the engine fried? :-||

Last edited:

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I'll respond to myself...In removing the engine if you don't drain the oil and you tip the engine too far over and pull on the pull starter oil will come out of the carburator. I removed the carb and just flushed it out with carb cleaner & let it set for a couple of hours. As for the engine being having to be coaxed using the screw driver it's any one's guess. Anyway I got it up & running again. I'm patting myself on the back...pat, pat.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Your engine had a lot of oil in the cylinder, causing hydraulic lock. When this happens, one needs to pull the spark plug and spin the engine with the starter to blow the oil out of the combustion chamber.
When the engine is tilted enough, the crankcase oil drains into the crankcase vent, that is hooked up via hose to the carb intake inside the air filter. If the intake valve happens to be open, the oil can drain right into the cylinder.

You could easily damage the engine by forcing it to rotate with a large quantity of oil in the cyl. Oil doesn't compress at all. Cracked head, bent rod, twisted crankshaft, sheared flywheel key, are some of the things likely to get damaged.

Last edited: