Need a Wi-Fi boost on the cheap?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I figured this out the other day, to boost your Wi-Fi in one direction(like the shop/garage) do this.

Fillet a can, cut off the head, cut it open and punch a hole in the bottom to fit over the antennae like this:

That'll boost your signal in whatever direction the can is pointing in by three metric crap-tonnes.

Only one beer was harmed in the making of this, but it made it to the toilet eventually :p

*disclaimer* do not attempt with a full beer..:D (shotgun hole on the bottom notwithstanding)

Attachments

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Cantennas rule lol. I used a coffee can, and a satellite dish to get a wireless signal from a tower over 8 miles away from my house. Mine wasn't for a phone but a wireless usb modem. Too bad I thought -4 c was really, really cold and broke the modem by leaving it out in 14 degrees weather one night. Kinda a expensive mistake but now I know, and knowing is half the battle lol.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHK6MY

This one is about $50 and I use it for a Metro Area for about a year and a half but now I'm not sure if system will keep going for free use.

Your idea is about 1/100 the cost and you get to drink the beer too.

Wind rain and not too cold in California has not bothered my setup, only the service for free you cannot complain so when it is down that is the way it stays till?

MT

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Have the same kind of WIFI card on my PC with a remote antenna like that.... came across the cantenna trick online a few weeks back and tried it with a manwinch can and not cutting it open, but drilling a hole in the bottom to run the wire thru and placed antenna inside of it....

HOLY COW..... it does have to be "pointed" toward the source, but going around a 360 degree circle I must of picked up nearly 150 WIFI signals versus about 15 without the can

By the way.... and by far.... THE BEST WIFI manager I have found is called "inSSIDer" and it is a free download.... gives all information including signal strength