Um, does anyone use the pedal sprocket gear?

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Excuse me, but is it the crankcase gear, bottom bracket, pedal gear shifter?

The proper term escapes me.

To the point now, since it has became a motored bicycle, do you people ever use the pedal crank gear shifter?
I think I would like to remove the shifter and shift knob, and keep it permanently in the small sprocket low gear setting.

I just can't see myself needing to shift to a higher gear there, since I am not looking for top speed pedaling and besides, one would need all the torque one can get while pedaling with that other heavy chain.

Thoughts?

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Some still pedal these bikes- yes, there is a bit of drag (actually a-lot!)
When my Grankids come over to ride their bikes, I have found that it's not too bad making a couple of short laps around the neighborhood (gotta keep them kids safe from cars!) with them.
I find myself riding Pedal power only with my Wife also- but no, I never use the smallest sprocket for this.
I have (in the past) changed through the gears to maintain speed on some tough uphill runs- I'm in the Sandhills of North Carolina, it is just as it sounds -all hills.
(It's just a matter of usage, and preference for me) - maybe a matter of Pedal assist for others?

Have fun and ride!
-Richard

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I believe he's talking about the front derailer (that's how I spell it. I'm not French).

Anyway, unless you plan to do a lot of pedaling the front derailer won't do you much good. Many of us remove it because it can interfer with engine installation when you want the engine mounted as low as you can get it. You will still be able to use the rear derailer to change sprockets on the cassett.

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I believe he's talking about the front derailer (that's how I spell it. I'm not French).

Anyway, unless you plan to do a lot of pedaling the front derailer won't do you much good. Many of us remove it because it can interfer with engine installation when you want the engine mounted as low as you can get it. You will still be able to use the rear derailer to change sprockets on the cassett.

Tom
That's what I'm talkin' about!

I don't see that as very useful, It would be a heavy bike to pedal, I don't think I would have to use those gears, only the small or medium sprocket.
Just parts I would like to remove or not set up, I bought the bike with all cables disconnected.

(I'm sorry, I know what bike parts do, but I don't know all the terminology.)

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
That is the way to go- if it's a problem, and you don't need it- take it off.

Way back in the day.........I used to be nuts about riding my bike- and even if I didn't use the front shifter I would try to keep it on and adjusted- just one of those OCD kinda things....
Anyways.... my point in saying is that on the last bike I built- now that I'm not blowin motors, and breaking rings constantly- I did the same, and still use the front gears.
But that is just something that I do, and would not actually recommend it to another builder- I'm 230lbs on my Genesis 29er- geared with a 32 tooth sprocket, and open exhaust- this bike has to be pedaled to get moving at all with my weight and gearing- I average 40 miles a week, and love the top end speed 40+ downhill =).

I'm probly just doing it to remember my younger/lighter days- but I ride.....and ride.....

-Richard.