RiverSide Build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
remounted the freshly painted engine and mount. Although the clear coat made the pull start cover look plastic, looks great. (have to redo the cover though)

Could not find 3/4 copper for a muffler so bought a pipe bender and some electrical conduit. A "blow-bag" A devise that you put a garden hose on and put in drain pipes to clear clogs. Think it will explode but for 20 bucks, will be funny for about 3 seconds. Gonna try to put it far "down-stream" I am hoping it works like a pulsating expansion chamber. Might wrap it or maybe a high temp clear coated can and leave the label.

Cam batt died and will post a pic in a few. Coming out great and am very pleased with the overall look.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No muffler yet. Mount slipped down just a wee bit. Could be just not tightened down enough but think aft bolting part could be faced down. I wanted to be sure the pedal chain guard would clear and still want mount to be as invisible as possible.

Having trouble convincing people it is not a kit or that it has a year of manufacture. That is big time cool.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Dave! No kidding started this with the thoughts of doing it stout like the JY-dawg and your mounting with a smattering of Toms devotion to aesthetic detail and a I really like that build. What was the final cost, 27 bucks or some thing? Just awesome Dave

I am coming to the conclusion that the NGK resister plug cap is a poor choice. When it gets hot, have trouble getting her to fire back up. Will try the original HF plug cap tomorrow or not have the exhaust blowing on the plug/cap. lol, might be hampering things, eh?

Was just out front sitting and smoking a cig. Neighbor and his wife and dog walk by. "Great bike. Did you build that?"
Yep. Thats an 80 dollar pump motor"
"Kit?"
"Nope, from scratch"
"Great bike"
"$170 at Kmart"

LOL, he stopped and looked closer.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
It was a very cheap build, been so long I really dont remember. Yeah it might start better to if you get rid of the resister wire.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Changed the cap. Works a whole lot better restarting hot. Not sure if the wire is new or stock HF.

Finished the muffler, sort of. Dang thing works great! LOL, this is too funny. Sounds so cool I am getting thumbs up from woman. One who covered her ears when I rode past before. In vid, I have the idle high. So can hear some clutch. The blow-bag does not get hot. Can kill the engine by putting your finger over it. But only rode her for about 20 minutes. Lost the underwater gargle sound but still has the thumper sort of sound.

RiverSide :: blowBag muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket

The electrical conduit was like 4 bucks. 3 bucks for a copper 45 and 4 bucks for a bag of 4 conduit unions. Blow-bag was 20. Bender was 40 though. But am glad to have it for next time.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Couldn't do the video, so can't see the pipe/muffler yet. But the bike looks super and the engine is looking good. I wanna see the exhaust, though! I have a similar frame I'm working on right now, also cantilever, but a 1951 Schwinn. My HF should fit in pretty much like yours as far as room. What is your air cleaner? Got my stuff together today for the engine mount... heavy aluminum plate, some angle iron and I'm thinking to incorporate the hockey puck option at each end of the mount where it engages the bike frame. Should work. I have everything scrounged for it, but one more hockey puck. No engine for a couple more weeks. I like your bike a lot.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, it's sweeter than home made candy.

Steve.
Thanks Steve! Really is the funnest build I have done. Never really took the time to do and re-do until happy with it. Getting to experiment with crazy ideas, that shockingly enough are working, is just a joy. What did we do b4 MBs?

SB, was wondering about that. Must be maddening when folks post vids and large pics when your on dial-up. I did think about it but got lost. All happy with how it sounded. Think it would cost more to mail then make, but if you can draw on paper the pipe you want, could mail one to ya. Or just make another like mine for you and ship it. I made a couple of the curves by stomping on it. (I ripped the vise off the work bench. I have anger issues, snork) So could be doable. Would suggest going forward and around the engine. Going up and aft is a bit tight and hot where one would rather not have that sort of thing. But hey, is an optional thing.

*side note and not for nutton' Shelly the wonder dawg heard me open a chocolate bar from down stairs and came running. Was just funny.* Ain't ya glad I shared?

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dan, is that Shelly the Wonder Dawg who can't hear "no" from ten ft. away but can hear a candy bar from the farthest corner of the house through 4 closed doors?

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, is that Shelly the Wonder Dawg who can't hear "no" from ten ft. away but can hear a candy bar from the farthest corner of the house through 4 closed doors?

Steve.
LOL! so you 2 have met. I truly love that idiot. I wanted to name her "Roof" and train her to bark every time some one said "what's your name?" But I got out voted. She now barks every time you ask her whats on top of the house. (have to point up though) My argument is that if she ever gets lost, she won't be able to tell folks her name. But could have a future in construction.

I forgot to mention about the muffler. The HF manifold is a small, 3/4 curved pipe with 2 flanges:confused: welded on either side. I cut it in half and shoved a street 45 degree copper union on it to start the curve forward. Then used a conduit connector to, oddly enough, connect the bent pipe. Is in no way air tight but the heat and leaking turned the copper black so it blended right in with the manifold.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh no, I gotta make my own exhaust pipe! Leave all the fun to you? I don't think so. Besides, I have to make good on my threat to make one out of copper pipe. Later.
Funny about the dog. Moosh has a new thing. This summer she got spoiled by my sister in law with regular treats of some kind of rawhide deal with yummy natural stuff inside, something or other roll ups. Dog goes crazy for those things, but they're expensive, so I buy the big fat ones and use the dremel rotary tool with a cut off wheel to make couple inch long sections so she gets them on the installment plan, which for me is also the savings plan. Now when she hears the dremel going she appears instantly like she teletransported in a nanosecond. Doesn't matter if I'm cutting a bolt head off, she is there and ever hopeful with one paw up in a quivering beg Then I feel sorry for her and give her another installment of real treat. My best friend has four legs.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
After crimping 2 first attempts, I got to wondering if copper would be easier. Just wondering. Copper looks great.

Cool about moosh! Can see the soulful eyes with paw raised. "Please Sir, som'ore" LOL.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got a cheapie wheel truing stand a while back. Is kinda funny, I was great at truing wheels and centering sprockets until I used this. Just really shows how far off things are. As tools go even this one is a great help and use. Really makes truing the engine drive sprocket a snap.

Any way, trued a wheel. After putting on a rag joint, the hoop/rim fully moved over 1/16 of an inch and rather uniformly.

Also experimented with socking this one down really tight. I normally snug em down and loosen the low spots. This one, I dogged it down like a red headed step child with a lisp, a limp and a blind dawg. Then tightened down the high spots.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Needed an alternate starting method while the pull-start paint dried. Needs a really long extension cord though.

Is a socket with a bolt. It worked. Might get a proper one. Came in real handy.

Maybe cut a hole in the cover and rig some sort of freewheel adapter and cordless drill. Just as an auxiliary starter.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan, You made me laugh with your last post... always thinking of alternative ways of doing things like having a cool electric start on your HF motor, even thought the pull start works just fine and is really pretty easy when you get right down to it and maybe easier than digging out the cordless drill from it's holster on the seat post, especially discovering the battery is dead. I laugh not at you but with you and with myself, 'cause it's the same nutty stuff I think about. Can't help it. Thinking inside that proverbial box is so confining...
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL SB. I would pay big bucks to see inside that box just once.

Went out to watch 3 freshly treated tanks dry. (Kreem stuff. complicated and time consuming but seems awesome and ended up costing about 10 bucks per tank) Staring at the bike, carb in a box just cleaned. Rear wheel on a truing stand and her butt in the air. Thought, solar charger/book rack. LOL

Charge a tool batt for lights, cig lighter and aux starter. cig lighter for GPS and surprisingly enough, light cigs.

Been planing this for years. Do a build with only utility in mind. Completely with out a thought for looks or cool. Pure and simple best function only.

hmmmm. Have an extra HF. ...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Catch basin at work clogged. Is it's job. catch sand and carp and be easily dug clean. We took apart my muffler, hooked it up to a garden hose and blew out the line. Then vaced out the sand. Was too funny. My bosses's bos walked in and asked about the problem. My boss replyed; "all good, we fixed it with Dan's muffler" LOL

MBs, is there any thing they can't do?

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f37/29957d1286842246-riverside-build-1011001949.jpg

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan,
I spent some time staring at your attached photo in the prior post, thinking about it since I'm now in a fever of activity with a 51 Schwinn cantilever build getting a Greyhound engine, figuring our the mount I want to make (incorporating two hockey pucks) and planning the exhaust. I like the way yours is routed and am still planning to use copper pipe, but this time soft copper as used in propane work so that I can bend it without kinking. At the exhaust end I am planning to just use a 3/4" to 1/2" copper reducer to give some back pressure. Now I'm wondering if the HS engine will be too loud without a muffler and also wondering how much restriction your whatever you call it clog draining muffler deal affects the power of the engine. Has it helped, hindered, what... and what was the effect on sound?
SB