shift kit on a vintage bike

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Anyone ever put a shift kit on a Schwinn panther? I haven't seen anything on the subject and that's part of the plan on the new build.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Anyone ever put a shift kit on a Schwinn panther? I haven't seen anything on the subject and that's part of the plan on the new build.
Looking at old photos, you'll need to install brakes (coaster brake won't work), the chain guard will be in the way and you will need to convert the bottom bracket. The bike will no longer be an old timey bike, but you knew that when you planned on bolting on a 2010 HT Chinese engine. I think the vintage feel and look can be maintained, but that's a personal taste thingy.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
:)

It's not a Schwinn tho heh

Still - the only "issues" are the rear hub (mutispeed), converting it to a 3 piece crank & making an extended front motor mount - none of which is particularly troublesome.

I will say it's worth every effort :D

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks for the help guys. Barely awake I think you sent me some pics. of one of your bike awhile back ago, does that have a kit on it?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the help guys. Barely awake I think you sent me some pics. of one of your bike awhile back ago, does that have a kit on it?
You can find it in the Rustoration thread... nice photos and a full description of what he did. I looked into this myself, contemplating it on a 50 Panther. Once I started to add everything up it looked like an expensive enterprise, but a highly desirable one. If you go ahead, be sure to post photos as you go. Vintage cruisers (50's and older) are the cat's meow... and a shift kit gives it a whole new level of cool.
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
That's a huge thread, I'll have to pick at it when I have free time. I skipped through it and it looks impressive. The biggest issue that comes to mind is a rear hub and brake choice.I didn't even think about not being able to use a coaster brake.
By the way, to any southern Mainers I found an old girls bike in Berwick that looks like the roll fast in that thread.It's got a gas tank,fender headlight, fork struts and a book rack. I didn't stop to check it out closely but it's sitting out front of the house like it's for sale.It's a little rough but looks to be very salvageable.