Projekt Nuchendfuttz

GoldenMotor.com

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Hi there . Thought i,de start a post in the DIY section where the real builders are . No bolt on kits here .
This is my project ( Nuchendfuttz ) . i,m starting out with a Jesse James WCC bicycle , that i found at the salvation army store for $25 bucks
I cut out the pedals and welded in a mounting plate for a 97cc 4 stroke off a baja dirt bug .
i have a temporary kickstand on the back wheel , I plan to make a kickstand out of a 10 speed front fork tube , and some foot rests out of a low rise mountian bike handle bar . I still need to make a jackshaft . I don,t really care if it goes real fast ( top speed ) so I,m gonna gear it low , so it takes off quick .
I keep getting new ideas so my plan aint set yet . but i,ll update my progress .

I see lots of good ideas and cool work in here . Keep up the good work .

Attachments

Cody Broken

Apr 19, 2009
McCall, ID
Dice, that looks cool as heck. Look forward to more updates.

I have GOT to start welding. Only done it once, for a couple minutes in my Army training. Never did it again. I bought a welder and some gear from Harbor Freight, but never took the time to mess around with it.

I tried the 2 stroke "china girl" engine kit and got frustrated with it. I don't have the patience to mess with carbs and exhaust and ride 500 miles and hope some power developes.

I love the chugging torque and reliable performance of 4 stroke engines. I bought an old lawn mower for $15 at a thrift store. Spent a couple hours researching the Briggs & Stratton engine online, then a couple hours working on the mower. Mower starts on the first pull and I didn't have to buy one part for it!

Bought a old lawn edger for $20 at a thrift store. Pulled the B&S engine off of it, flushed out the crank case with gas, pressure washed the dirt off it, added proper fluids and it runs like a champ! Horizontal drive and now I'm just scheming on how to mount it on the bike.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
thanks , i just kinda got started on this . actually i just painted the frame so i wouldnt have to look at the bodyshop ugly sanded finish ( why i don,t know , i,m not done welding . and i,m still designing as i go ) . I was messing around with the spray cans and started painting a rim white . I like the look so i,m gonna go with white painted rims and spokes .
let me know when you get some pics up , I,de like to check out your bike when you start building it

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
Great looking bike. Lucky SalvArmy score. Nuchendfuttz1 Great name!

I'd suggest a jackshaft to right-side-drive a sprocket chained to a 3 or 5 speed hub laced into your wheel. Back off the gas to shift and take it easy on the 3 speed hub. You could have your decent acceleration & respectable top speed as well. A rear derailleur set up on a 5, 6 or 7 speed cluster would be even better. Builders here are having great success with powering through bicycle drive train components.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Here is some updated progress

I added a 72 tooth sprocket to the rear right sprocket
( hub still functions as the original coaster brake did )

paint is temporary so i don,t have to look at the ugly sanded down finish

when i get the chance , weight reduction holes will be added to the rear sprocket

I,m still working on the jackshaft and trying to come up with a cool idea for a tank

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
ok . i just contradicted myself .
told someone else i wasn,t crazy about the china gas tanks .
and i just put one on
looks better than the engine topper gas tank anyways

Attachments

2wheelcowboy

Sep 5, 2009
utah
I just got a bike like this and looking for ideas (especially motor ideas). Thanks for your post which I will follow. I like what you are doing. Being a newby, could I ask what kind of clutch system you will use (centrifical)? And what are your plans for footpegs, and brakes?

Here is a little about me from my intro:

I just bought a WestCoastChopper bicycle , and would like to put a motor in it (wondering what is best). I know almost nothing about bicycles, but I know lots about motorcycles. Just built a full size chopper (pic attached) with a 107 S&S motor and a yr ago rode it a 1000 miles in a day and a half back from Sturgis. So I ought to be able to motorize this WCC bike. I notice that one of your members is doing this on the very same bike.

Anyway I have a friend who rides choppers (full size motorcycle). Well, a few yrs back he was hit on his chopper and lost his leg. So when we go to Sturgis (he has this little motor bike that he gets around the campgrounds - that way he doesn't have to fire up his Bourget Magnum chopper to visit other camps there). Seemed like a good idea and I would like to have one.

Ken

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
yeah , it has a centrifical clutch . you can see it there in the last picture .
i,m still working on the jackshaft , and a kickstand i,m making out of a 10 speed front fork .
once the bike is done , i,m gonna start working on a sidecar for it .
when its done , it won,t be very fast because i intent to gear it for torque , not speed .
its gonne have to be able to go with 2 adults on it , and its only a 2.8hp motor .
fortunately there is enough room in the frame to go to a 5hp motor if i need to .

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
update

i made a bit of progress on the jackshaft , i had to raise my motor 1 inch so the 2nd chain would clear the rear tube . now its ready for welding .

i had a temporary setup before , i think its gonna do wheelies

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
got the jackshaft welded in now , gave it a test spin up the street .
slower takeoff than i expected but at the same time faster than i expected .
( 12t - 40t engine to shaft 3.333-1 )
then
( 15t - 72t shaft to wheel 4.8-1 )
= 16-1 ratio
1836.72 mm circumferance on the rear wheel
1836.72 mm/1000,000=.00183672 k/rev
estimate 4000 rpm top speed x60= 240000revs/hour/16 =15000revs/h rear wheel
15000x.00183672=27.5508
estimate 27.5 km/h ??? seemed like i was going much faster than that
thats about 17mph . its faster than walking
but slow enough to hear the little kids go , AAHHH COOOOOOOOOOL !!!!

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Well its done . except for a kickstand .
don,t know what good its for , its technically a motorcycle
guess i need a bigger driveway too ride it ,
oh well , i,m gonna have me some fun and park it beside the meanest looking bike at the local biker coffee shop , and watch everyone hoard around it , that oughta be good for a laugh .

Attachments

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
nice looking build dice man! the local coffee shop ought to have a few grins on this one! what size motor? and how does the light work? (batteries or motor)

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Filestyle ,all the info on the bike is earlier in the thread .
the light isn,t actually wired up . its just a rubberized utility vehicle light i used to have on the back of my truck .
I just thought the black rubber light went good with the colour scheme on the bike , so i put it on .
the motor is a 2.8 hp 97cc 4 stroke , runs sweet , starts on 1/2 a pull , it came from a baja birt bug mini bike

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Bike sounds and looks good! Very clean looking ride. I am still cobbling parts for mine. Thanks for sharing. Its always fun to see and look at these creations!

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
THANKS GUYS . Now that i,ve got the MB bug , I have started collecting parts for my next project . i will use the same motor , but this one will have working pedals .

i picked up a sturmey front drum

found a sweet peugio ranger in the garbage ( gonna use the nice steel chrome rims from that ) saving the frame for a regular bicycle ( very nice frame , i don,t wanna mess with it ) can,t believe it actually got thrown in the garbage

found a great condition rear band break

i will built the next one using cogged belts ( no chains ) for quietness

i,m experimenting with the muffler to get it noiseless

i am going to make the rear hub myself and use sealed roller bearings on a 3/4 inch axle

a 3 speed hub , for a transmission " IF " i can build a cushion gear small enough with at least 1 full rotation of cushioning to protect the hub from the stress of the motor

hand operated clutch

2wheelcowboy

Sep 5, 2009
utah
i,ve added a drive-by video , here ya go .

enjoy
QUOTE]

Hey, diceman! Very KOOL!! Thanks for sharing. You sure built one FINE little motorbike!

And what a great video!

I think I'll build my WCC just like you did!
Thanks, 2wheelcowboy (Ken)

Oh, here is a pic of me and the WCC I bought:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i did see another wcc bike , the guy used the china motor and managed to keep the pedals , but if your gonna use it at a campground , who needs pedals .

ha ha , lucky you , you get to wreck the chrome welding , mine was just a painted bike .