Air filter bolts breaking

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I bought one of the after market air filters from one of the better suppliers, and I am very happy with it.
The bike breaths much better, but I keep having the 2 little bolts that hold it on snap right where it bolts to the NT carb.
Today I replaced the bolts and broke 3 more of them in 10 minutes of riding!
The bike seems to be running more smoothly than ever before so I can't figure out what could cause them to break so quickly.
:-||

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I rode around with the stock filter on today for 20 min or so with no breakage. It does not run as well as it does with the after market filter though.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
A photo would help plus letting us know what after market filter you speak of? Maybe the after market filter is more heavier. Maybe its bouncing up and down more? Is the filter way bigger rubbing on your seat tube or something?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
this is going to seem stupid,does the muffler have any support other than the the 2 mounting bolts?
also,the mounting hardware could be a low grade fastener.
the whipping action of the motor is most likely the cause,im suprised the intake hasnt broken yet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Obviously your air cleaner must be hitting the frame. That's the only way you can break the bolts.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
In response to:
In the attached pic, it is showing the short alum intake that I broke. I am about to replace the Long CNS intake with a short Steel intake similar to the one shown.
Dave- It is the filter on the SBP website. The bike runs noticeably better with it on. It is heavier, and when I ran it the other day, I noticed at higher revs it vibrates.
2Door- I have a piece of heater hose between the frame and the brackets. I have heard stories both ways, but as much stuff as I have broken, I am ready to remove those and remout the motor without them.
Bikenut- The filter is in no way contacting the frame. I have tons of clearance on my 27" road bike.
Tommyboy-I am using quality hardware.

Attachments

Last edited:

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I spoke to one of the guys at SBP about my problem and he suggested that I use thread locker on it because maybe the vibration was loosening up the bolts just enough to let them rattle and then stress fracture. I tried this, they still came loose after about 4 miles. I am about to put a smaller intake manifold on the bike. It currently has the CNS super long one, and I think that may be amplifying the vibration.