Build-offs?????

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I love this site, but something dawned on me this morning, i realised we dont ever do build-offs here (at least as far as i know).

I think an occasional build-off would be a lot of fun. Ratrodbikes just had another build-off which was very cool. I realise our motorized bikes can be a little or a lot more work then some bicycle builds but im sure we could still do it. I think having only one build-off a year so build-off entrant numbers are kept high would be key.

Maybe setting rules for the build-offs. Perhaps start off with a build-off that has to be a chinagirl in a standard bicycle frame to keep costs to a minimum, and if that was successful we could have different rules/themes for each build-off. A ratrod build-off? A chopper build-off? A cafe-racer buid-off?

We could vote on the winner. I think it could be successful. And it could be that extra motorvation to get a build finished if you're a little lazy and unmotorvated like me sometimes.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
we've tried to have a few a while ago, but they mostly end up in bickering over rules.

here's an unofficial one me, barely awake and silverbear had: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13144
Thats a shame Bairdco, i will read through that thread to see what you mean. I do notice its 72 pages though, so might take a while.

I did notice that build-off was back in 2009, maybe things have changed, maybe they havent. I would imagine our numbers have grown considerably since then.

I believe we would need to do it how ratrodbikes do it. Have a build-off section, and in that section we would all have our own build-off thread for each bike. (Im suggesting these things with no computer knowledge, so im not sure how hard this is).

Strict rules to start off with. I would think a chinagirl, in a standard bike frame (not chopped or stretched) with other modfications allowed. It would keep costs to a minimum and be eaiser to enter for a lot of beginners.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
There was a build-off in 2010 for 4-strokes sponsored by EZM.....

dnut
I had no idea that build-off had even occured. That is about the time i joined.
How come there wasnt a following build-off? Were there not enough entrants? If not maybe a chinagirl build-off would have a lot more entries????

Perhaps rather then having all different categories, we could have a single build theme each time we have a build-off. That way i would imagine it would be a lot easier to handle.

Is this something that interests anyone else, or is there not enough interested parties to make it worthwhile?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I love this site, but something dawned on me this morning, i realised we dont ever do build-offs here (at least as far as i know).

I think an occasional build-off would be a lot of fun. Ratrodbikes just had another build-off which was very cool. I realise our motorized bikes can be a little or a lot more work then some bicycle builds but im sure we could still do it. I think having only one build-off a year so build-off entrant numbers are kept high would be key.

Maybe setting rules for the build-offs. Perhaps start off with a build-off that has to be a chinagirl in a standard bicycle frame to keep costs to a minimum, and if that was successful we could have different rules/themes for each build-off. A ratrod build-off? A chopper build-off? A cafe-racer buid-off?

We could vote on the winner. I think it could be successful. And it could be that extra motorvation to get a build finished if you're a little lazy and unmotorvated like me sometimes.

What do you guys think?
I did notice that build-off was back in 2009, maybe things have changed, maybe they havent. I would imagine our numbers have grown considerably since then.

I believe we would need to do it how ratrodbikes do it. Have a build-off section, and in that section we would all have our own build-off thread for each bike. (Im suggesting these things with no computer knowledge, so im not sure how hard this is).

Strict rules to start off with. I would think a chinagirl, in a standard bike frame (not chopped or stretched) with other modfications allowed. It would keep costs to a minimum and be eaiser to enter for a lot of beginners.

Build offs have never been a common enough occurrence to necessitate a separate subforum given the sporadic interest & difficulties - such as more than one or two individuals beginning a build of the same type simultaneously & the time it often takes for a competitive build on a budget. We're also less formal here, a bit more laid back so there's no need to ask permission to hold a build off, there's no staff involvement unless requested (other'n forum rules ofc). It's just a matter of deciding what class/type of bikes, the rules concerning entrants, the beginning & end dates & then creating a thread in the appropriate subforum, choppers, cruisers, rats, trackers, w/e... Two threads, one for rule establishment, suggestions & entry requests (later becoming handy for non-entrant build discussion) and one for the actual build off is suggested, ofc the staff here is at your disposal for maintaining those threads (off topic/non entrant/moderation) should it be needed.

It gets tricky with merchant hosted events as they are inherently an advertising platform and should that merchant establish themselves as a judge for that event as well, the impartiality & integrity of the event becomes highly questionable, as does it's placement. As a result, while we don't discourage sponsored events (for trophies/prizes) and vendors/merchants can of course host an event - we very much encourage member (non vendor) hosted & judged events, or at least a poll to determine the winner as this helps eliminate any question of product bias and to insure a fair, friendly competition. Merchants & individuals can be contacted directly to see if they're willing to offer a plaque/trophy/prize should that be desired.

If build offs (or any event type) ever become popular enough to warrant an additional subforum it would most likely be created, but for now the type/class subforums are suggested or even our Event section should it be a multiple class competition, we can always move threads should it be become necessary.

Please do contact any of the staff here should you wish assistance for any reason, even suggestions concerning rules, classes and other parameters, or simple thread/post maintenance - we're more than willing to aid any event in any way we can :)

Last edited: