Golden Motor Website...Does It Leave You a Little Confused?

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Am I the only that is a little confused? I'm interested in this new system but am a little confused on exactly what is needed to install on a bicycle. I know that the motor is in the wheel & that you order the correct size wheel for your bike. How about the controller? Is this a separate piece of equipment you'll need? How about the size of the battery? I'm electrically challenged and don't know what size battery I need. There should be a chart or something to describe in laymens terms the operating perameters of each battery. Also, am I correct in assuming that you need to go somewhere else to find a battery charger? I don't see one on their website. How do I know what kind of battery charger is compatable with the configuration of their batteries? I've dealt with chinese websites before concerning questions & there's always something lost in translations. I don't want to take the chance in ordering a Golden Pie for a Beach Cruiser and get an order for Kung Pao Chicken!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
How about the controller? Is this a separate piece of equipment you'll need?
They've a selection of different motor types, up to and including conversion kits for scooters, even cars - most require a separate controller, but the 'Magic Pie' does not as it's built into the hub motor itself... so it depends on which motor you're looking at.

How about the size of the battery?
Again, depends on which motor you're thinking of - but generally speaking it's safe to say you'll want the one with the greatest AH (amp hours) you can afford as that's your reserve/range, the size of your fuel tank so to speak. If you don't mind a little (very little) bit of fabrication, you can get somewhat better reserve for slightly less of an investment by getting your batteries elsewhere - you'll just need to make your own mount/case to put 'em in like panniers for example... I've had great results with these;

http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://stores.ebay.com/PingBattery

I'm electrically challenged and don't know what size battery I need. There should be a chart or something to describe in laymens terms the operating perameters of each battery.
It gets a little tricky as much depends on which motor you choose, it's voltage & amp draw and weight, terrain & usage ofc... but as an example I've a 48v 1000w 12a 'Magic Pie' with a 48v 15ah LiFePO4 pack (Ping)...

v = volts
w = watts
a = amps
ah = amp hours (example: 15ah = 15 amps for one hour or 1 amp for 15 hours etc.)

At maximum draw my motor uses about 12a and does a hair over 25mph and I've a 15ah pack so;

15ah / 12a = 1.25hrs x 25mph = 31.25mi

...the math says I should be able to ride for 1.25 hours at it's max 12a draw which at 25mph = 31.25 miles. During testing on hilly terrain in breezy conditions, maximum speed all the time and without any pedal assist I achieved a touch over 27 miles actual - which confirms the math... which I've never trusted on it's own as math confuses & terrifies me lol, but if I had level ground in no wind conditions to test with I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten the 30 some miles I should have.

Also, am I correct in assuming that you need to go somewhere else to find a battery charger?
No, both Golden Motor, PingBattery & most other vendors supply a basic charger with their batteries - but they are very basic "trickle" chargers (mine is a 2a) so if you wish less recharge time, you may want to upgrade.

I don't see one on their website. How do I know what kind of battery charger is compatable with the configuration of their batteries?
The ones they include are matched to the battery type - but it's just a matter of knowing the voltage and type of batteries in the pack, the chargers offered are usually clearly labeled what they're for. It gets slightly more complicated with custom DIY packs, but the standard 24, 36 & 48v setups are pretty much "plug n'play" :)

BTW: some additional details just to confu... erm... clarify lol - I didn't get mine from Golden Motor direct, so I dunno about their specifics. My motor is a 'Magic Pie II' and they've since developed and are now offering the 'Magic Pie III' which might have slightly different preformance parameters. As I didn't get my batteries from Golden Motor, I can't attest to their specifications *shrug* Our Motorized Electric Bicycles section has more info, my MPII build and a coupla MPIII builds in progress if yer curious ;)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm have alway been understanding that seal lead acid batteries, you have to not let them drain all the Ampere Hours out or it damages it. The Abosrbed Glass Mat Lead Acid battery I had use similarly I think you do not really get all those hours although the math is right, the battery can not deliver the voltage and amps nearing when the math say it still should nearing the dead flat. I don't know of the newer formulation on the battery type stated and how it responds, but I usually think maybe 25% for a guard band to protect the battery.

Some one else step in here and correct me if I'm off here. Lithium Ferros I had heard of an I think maybe this is new in the forefront.

MT

PS I am doing a gas bike, but was wonding if anyone knows of these electric motors quite small only 200 watt 24volt, has there been any way of converting the toothed pulley to a v-belt pulley... I might have a hybrid.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24-volt-200w-motor-belt-sprocket.html

Was told to call them back on Monday to see what they know.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Fortunately, many battery packs like the LiFePO4 mentioned above come with a BMS (battery management system) which help protect the cells from such charge/discharge concerns...

(I haven't one bad cell BTW, it's a video) ;)

but here's a link that explains it fairly well, better than I can anyway heh: Battery Management Systems

Last edited:

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Thanks BA..at least now I have a clearer (although fuzzy) picture of this kind of set-up. Maybe I'll wait and see if a stateside vendor starts putting these together as kits so people like me who are electrically/math challenged can just pick the system they want w/o taking a course in electrical engineering. :-||

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
on the magic pie 3 the controller is built into the wheel so really not much to do except mount the new wheel with the motor in it and make your conections which are all numbered with water resistant plugs. i am building one now and it is pretty much dummy proff (i am a dummy lol). my knowledge of electric is very slim and just went with the whole kit from goldenmotor.com. battery and motor. from what i am seeing the magic pie 3 is a way better and easier to set up then the 2. i went with the 48 volt 1000 watt kit and the 48volt 10amh battery. the battery charger also comes with the kit. as far as comunicating with golden motor they answered my emails with questions very fast and have been a real pleasure to deal with. so far barleyawake and mike have the magic pie 2 and i have the magic pie 3. all of us will be more then glad to answer questions you may have to the best of our ability

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's right beach cruiser, if you get the whole thing from GM, it's all "plug & play"

The only real important thing to do is crank the crap out of the axle nuts. The axle is stopped and there are 4 slotted washers to go inside and outside of the dropouts and it is important to torque the nuts to the max. This does not put any force on the bearings 'cause the axle is stopped and you need make sure the axle does not torque the dropouts wider.