case reed project

GoldenMotor.com

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
so i have a 66cc china girl and im building case reed valve for it and the carb is 19mm dellorto copy. the exhaust is gonna be some moped expansion camber pipe. i take some update pictures when i get the reedbox done.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
case reed means your going to have the reeds mounted into the case under the jug, how you going to do that. sure you don't mean piston port reeds. which has been tried many times and dosen't work with these engines. not enough transfer ports in the cyl. the reeds end up to far away from the cyl. and you need to port the piston skirt in just the right way.

tried it many ways and it never worked well.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
The way I was planning on doing it was to make a reed block that bolted to the area to the right of the clutch cover. Or possibly get really creative and mount a walbro carb directly underneath the motor, with a reed valve setup.

Piston ported reeds don't look like a great idea, if only because what I really want to do is use the intake port area for boost ports.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
case reed means your going to have the reeds mounted into the case under the jug, how you going to do that. sure you don't mean piston port reeds. which has been tried many times and dosen't work with these engines. not enough transfer ports in the cyl. the reeds end up to far away from the cyl. and you need to port the piston skirt in just the right way.

tried it many ways and it never worked well.
yes im trying to do reed block that will bolt to the intake port. hmm maby i just do intake manifold for my 19mm carb if the reed block doesn`t work well in thies engines.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
dont meen to but in on this reed post , but camlifter i just gotta know what kind of clutch set up is that. i have not seen anything like that yet? could you pm me please with the info? i would most likly be interested in one ,it looks way better than the stock set-up. I dont want to take this post off track.
sorry talbotti, i just gotta know what that set up is, and i hope your reed idea works out, new improvements are always appreciated.
RIDE ON>>>>

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
thats a clutch mod we did to get the stock clutch to grip more. it's basicly an extra pressure plate stacked on top of the stock clutch set up. after making some high compresion billit heads we found that the clutch would slip while trying to bump start the motors. this clutch solved that problem. i made and sold some last year but stoped making them as they cost to much to make and very few mb people were willing to buy them. it also has the added benefit of being able to chew up your ankle. lol.
but back to the reeds. the only way to realy make it work is to use the whole top end from a puch like 4ezy did. since there already made for reeds.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
Use the whole top end from a puch or figure out precisely what makes it work on a puch. Reverse engineering.

What it seems like to me is that crank case volume remains constant between the 4EZ motor and a stock chinagirl, unless he modified it differently (Stuffers nonwithstanding, my motor has those)
What we're trying to do here is make the intake of gases into the cases as highly asymmetrical as possible (Lots of fuel/air in, almost none back out) and utilize the area behind the piston not only for intake, but transfer. That means a windowed piston is required, and boost ports should be cut. Due to higher primary compression, transfers could be raised slightly, and re-aimed at the spark plug. Boosts could be aimed half the distance between the exhaust port ceiling and the cylinder deck.

I'm still reading as much as I can on 2 stroke porting, a couple more paychecks and I'll pick up a victim motor to play with.