right side freewheel and interchangable sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
Does anybody know where you can get a standard 1 3/8 right hand thread freewheel that you can mount a 72t sprocket on?..I seem to be able to find freewheels for left side with a mounting flange for a sprocket..but none for the right side...any help appreciated!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Is this your 72t sprocket? It's the one I use:

72 Tooth Sprocket for 8mm (T8F) / Scooter / Pocket Bike | eBay

Is this the freewheel you're looking for?

http://www.scooterpart.net/products.php?id=279
It's cheap; you can find cheaper ones around. It works well enough, but the wobble is about .125"
You'd swear the freewheel and sprocket were gonna screw off and roll down the road.

This one is better:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=34&osCsid=28k9popi7si9i40e5dnaj7kib3
I found a used one; it has no wobble.

This is the best freewheel:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=62&osCsid=28k9popi7si9i40e5dnaj7kib3

Top of the line, but you pay the price.

My advice? If you're cheap and don't mind the wobble, the 4-bolt freewheel bolts right onto the sprockets and crank arms. However, it's impossible to remove without totally destroying the 'wheel. In fact, even after destroying it, ya STILL can't remove it without damaging the crank arm's threads. It's cheaper and less headache to simply use a new crank arm and sprocket.

Both freewheels from SBP are higher quality and don't wobble. I just swapped over from 4-bolt freewheels to 5-bolt freewheels. Redrilling the SBP HD freewheel would be EXTREMELY difficult(expensive and hard steel alloy). I went the cheap route and redrilled the 72t sprocket(softer steel). I ended up with 4 extra holes in the sprocket and $80 richer in my pocket.

This SBP chainring sprocket bolts directly onto the 5-bolt freewheels.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
5-7,
Are these right hand thread?...if so, they are exactly what I am looking for..dont want anything to do with the 4 dollar one..but the SBP freewheels are interesting to me...
I dont have a sprocket yet..trying to round up parts. I have a GC160 honda engine and a CVT...worksman Front and back rims with brake hubs..well..I had the rims..but the rear worksman wheel came in and it was Rusty..so I sent it back for replacement today.(.jeez..I cant believe they made me pay the freight back..but that will be another thread..we will see what happens first.).I have a Fork from a Honda Trail 90..plenty of Crome moly tubing to start on the frame..This machine probably wont have pedals..not decided yet..still working out the details..I am going to extend the rear jackshaft in the Comet and drive the right side of the wheel...If I could figure out how to get a dual drive (pedals and CVT) and still use the rear brake drum I would..but the ratios just dont work out in trying to run a jackshaft with a freewheel on it driven from the pedal sprocket, and a single sprocket to the rear right side of the brake hub.. I dont have a rear sprocket yet..and I can drill one and machine the center if I have to easy enough..The whole thing kinda hinges on getting a right hand thread flanged freewheel...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7,
Are these right hand thread?...if so, they are exactly what I am looking for..dont want anything to do with the 4 dollar one..but the SBP freewheels are interesting to me...
I dont have a sprocket yet..trying to round up parts. I have a GC160 honda engine and a CVT...worksman Front and back rims with brake hubs..well..I had the rims..but the rear worksman wheel came in and it was Rusty..so I sent it back for replacement today.(.jeez..I cant believe they made me pay the freight back..but that will be another thread..we will see what happens first.).I have a Fork from a Honda Trail 90..plenty of Crome moly tubing to start on the frame..This machine probably wont have pedals..not decided yet..still working out the details..I am going to extend the rear jackshaft in the Comet and drive the right side of the wheel...If I could figure out how to get a dual drive (pedals and CVT) and still use the rear brake drum I would..but the ratios just dont work out in trying to run a jackshaft with a freewheel on it driven from the pedal sprocket, and a single sprocket to the rear right side of the brake hub.. I dont have a rear sprocket yet..and I can drill one and machine the center if I have to easy enough..The whole thing kinda hinges on getting a right hand thread flanged freewheel...
LOL, right-hand thread freewheels are plentiful. Left-hand thread freewheels are around, but cheap Chinese stuff. Quality left-hand freewheels are available, but more expensive than SBP products.

What gear ratio are you shooting for? I've heard of guys using 9 and 10-tooth sprockets on the bottom bracket, but have never seen it in pics or video.

FWIW, you can thread an SBP 5-bolt freewheel onto the right side of a bicycle hub, then bolt on any size sprocket that'll clear the frame. No machining necessary on NuVinci hub or coaster hub, which I've tried.

Check out Scotto's builds. I believe he did what you're thinking of doing, but he kept the pedals.

Last edited: