How to space engine sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
My chain is going to rub on the tire just a hair and it will align better if I space the engine sprocket not the wheel sprocket. What is a good technique for spacing? Any special tools needed (i.e. gear puller etc...). What material should I use for spacer..metal, nylon etc..? It appears to be an appropriate fix because the installation guide says quote, "Sprocket on 66cc my need spaced outward to clear 415 chain", end quote.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I had to put a spacer behind for my #41 chain, glad I did, it's a nice chain!

I used a lock washer (circular piece of metal, snipped and bent)

First I bent it back to be flat (vice, vice grips).

Then you have to cut the slot in it to be bigger (dremel disc) so that it fits around the woodruff key.

It has to be ground down on the inside (file/dremel) to fit around the stuff that holds the sprocket on.

It also has to be filed around the outside (grinder,file/dremel). It can't be any bigger than the sprocket, or it will grip stuff it's not supposed to!

Then you put the sprocket back on overtop of it. You porbably do need a sprocket puller, but each kit should come with one. You also lose a lot of threading for the sprocket when you do this, so I had to use red loctite to make sure that sprock stays on.

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You can accomplish this by moving the shaft out a bit. Remove the clutch cover and pressure plate (right side of motor), screw in the clutch puller tool, and whack it a couple of times with a mallet. This is discussed in more detail in another thread in the forum. This is what I did to keep my 415 chain from contacting the engine block.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
make sure thw wheel sprocket is concave side out
i always reccomend changing the tire size to 195 when this is a problem
whanging on the clutch shaft to move it will probbly change the front to rear sprocket allignment (then chain comes off....lol) and may damage front sprocket seal or unseat bearings
i have seen this happen

all advice is free and may be disregarded

stay dry
gubba

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
I think that I'm going to use brass washers...plus I might drill holes in the sprocket and shaft then do what they do with aircraft and safety wire the sprocket so that it can turn off the shaft.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can accomplish this by moving the shaft out a bit. Remove the clutch cover and pressure plate (right side of motor), screw in the clutch puller tool, and whack it a couple of times with a mallet. This is discussed in more detail in another thread in the forum. This is what I did to keep my 415 chain from contacting the engine block.
This is the best way that I've found!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think that I'm going to use brass washers...plus I might drill holes in the sprocket and shaft then do what they do with aircraft and safety wire the sprocket so that it can turn off the shaft.
Adding washers behind it won't work; all you'll do is push the center of the bearing into the engine & cause it to bind when you tighten the main sprocket nut! :(

Last edited:

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
how much movement can I get with this method?

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
and can you direct me in forum were I read in more detail.. thanks so much

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Aha!

So the shim washers will NOT work! ...

I'm a hack... if I had an alignment difference that small I'd probably twinkle the stays a bit... or whomp on the seat post and give it a wowie to move things over. Definitely got some big hammers here, and blocks of wood. :)
even sheldon brown speaks of tweaking a frame...
rc

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
It just occurred to me that you must only get a fraction of movement moving the shaft because if you moved it too far the clutch swing arm cam shaft thing (don't know the name exactly) wouldn't work anymore. I think I need more movement then that. Tell you what going to take some pics in a few hours so that we all can see...looks good anyway, want to show it off.

jnnova

Aug 9, 2011
United States
You should only consider moving the whole shaft over if the chain is hitting the engine case, not to get extra chain to tire clearance!
Just read this comment.....my problem is chain tire clearance not the case. I'm going to take a good look at this and take some pics and find a solution and let you guys know...so far you guys have been very helpful and I want VMB to see he seems knowledgeable.