cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
I week a go I bought a Q matic transmission. It`s so quit I thought
Some thing was wrong with my motor.What little vibration I had
Is gone it`s as smooth as could be. But I do have one question
May be some one can help me out. I have A Grubee free wheel
On it. I don`t trust it. I would like to do away with it. As it is now
If the motors not running I can peddle it home no problem.
I’m thinking of welding it up solid I was wondering if I could still
Peddle it home I’m hoping some one knows before I tear it apart.dance1

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why weld it when you can replace the freewheel with a solid mounting flange? I wouldn't weld it until it failed.....then weld away!

Either way you can still pedal the bike.....freewheel, fixed wheel, whatever. What would stop you from being able to pedal the bike??? Not much fun pedaling the bike with the extra weight of the engine though.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Because of the way the centrifugal clutch works, you will have no problem pedalling with the engine off or just idling. As long as you don't have the rpms up to engage the clutch shoes, the Q-Matic will free wheel on its own.

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
Scotto.the solid sprocket has six bolt holes. Were as the free wheel has
Five bolt holes.To get A solid sprocket you have to get the hub&sprocket.
For about 50 bucks. I can get it welded for free.

Hi cigron,

One very interesting feature of the Q-Matic is it's ability to offer "motor braking" and yet still release to free wheel at lower speeds.

When the motor is off or at idle the drive system is disconnected from the motor via the Max Torque clutch and is in a free wheel condition. When the motor is above idle the clutch connects the primary belt drive to the clutch output chain sprocket. As long as the motor is above idle the drive can also work to aid in slowing down the bike when needed [unless there is a free wheel in the final drive]. Considering most bicycle brakes are marginal, having the motor help slow the vehicle is a "good thing", and prolongs brake life.

If you make the freewheel solid, I think you will be very happy with the results.

Have fun,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think all of the reply's here should answer your question here....weld it up. I have both set-ups of the Grubee HD axle, I'm aware of the 5 bolt, 6 bolt difference.....just get the other flange rather than weld the freewheel, unless you have no access to a drill motor or drill press.

I've converted a 9-hole 56T standard sprocket (for rag joint) to a 5-hole 2-1/2" center hole freewheel HD Grubee axle/hub.....anything is possible.

What I'm trying to say here is you should be able to puchase just the 6-hole flange for the grubee HD axle....if not, weld the freewheel 5-hole flange up and be done with it.

Last edited: