before and after photos of my first bike

GoldenMotor.com

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
I am new to this forum just having joined last night and have only owned my first motorized bike for a couple of weeks. I gave it a quickie low budget makeover. It is crude and primitive but great fun. I have put alot of miles on it. Did not cost much and a good starter or beginner bike for me. I have already bought a much nicer one but will keep them both so visitors can ride along with me. Here are the before and after photos. I think the seat is too high now but I can change that.

Attachments

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Thanks, I don't know how to properly describe details. I guess I could tell you it has a Tecumseh engine and a Whizzer style belt drive. It was used for racing before I owned it and had no brakes. We put a hand brake on the rear that tends to slow it down somewhat. I added a cruiser seat and the white tires of course. I suppose I will have some pinstriping done on it or perhaps add some decals. Don't know yet. Here is the other side.

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Poverty... Exceptional looking set of wheels, Im doing a cruiser now, about that in-frame tank....
Cheers
Chainmaker

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Yeah, about that tank. I also am looking to get a custom tank for my cruiser style bike. I have never welded or brazed, so I'm not comfortable learning "enough" to make my own. I'd rather talk to somebody who knows how. I can make an accurate cardstock mockup. Did you make the tank yourself?

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
No, I bought it already built but actually this tank is very crude and is the worst part of the bike visually. I don't mind though and have no plans to change it. I just want to have fun. I ride it every day.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I love all the utility powered bikes. There are a million engines out there waiting for someone to befriend them, a perfect place is an old Schwinn bike. I have been working on a way to use one of the rotary engines they are cleaner looking and have a round mounting for the deck that makes it look like a round crankcase. Have fun, Dave

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
This is exactly along the lines of what I'd like to build. Are the $120 Schwinns sold at Target a suitable frame? Could you post a few close-ups of the belt reduction assembly?

Thanks,

andy b.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
Thanks!!! A little dirt doesn't cover what I was looking for. How does the final belt drive seem to work? What do you think of it compared to the chain drive setups?

andy b.

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
I have 2 chain drive bikes and 2 belt drive. I like them all but the belt drive is trouble free. The other bikes throw a chain sometimes from too much power. Probably would not be a problem with one of those little china engines.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
LOL That's funny! :)
Thanks again for your replies. I read the threads with the other bikes you picked up and all of them look great! You really lucked out finding them.

andy b.