Potential Whizzer Newbie

GoldenMotor.com

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Hey there,

I posted this in the Introductions forum, but no one reading those forums has much experience with the Whizzer.

Hey there,

I've been riding my bike around Los Angeles for quite some time now, but unless its just a short trip, I'm pretty sweaty when I get to my destination.

I've been looking at electric bikes for some time now, but I'd really like to be able to keep up with traffic a bit better. From what I've read in the whizzer forum, with a few modifications, you can get quite a bit of power out of it.

Does anyone here ever ride their whizzer on busy city streets?

What are your thoughts on the quality of them?

BillyB

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
HI Wife and I just got back from a week in Oceanside. We rode quite a bit, but she prefers NOT to get into traffic. I rode Coast Highway at about 5:00 on Saturday evening, and it was crowded, got to keep both hands, feet, and eyes active, but I can handle that.

If you have already been riding in traffic, the Whizzer will be easier than the bicycle, as you will have the power to pull away from the stops, and you can easily flow 25-30mph.

Yes the Whizzer's performance can be improved greatly, tho it voids your Warrentee to do that, and with the new 1 year parts warrentee you might want to wait a bit before any mods were considered.

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mike

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Thanks for the info on city riding Mike.

I frequently top 45 MPH going down a big hill in city traffic on a bicycle, and I know that that's too darn fast for that frame and tires.

More questions:
Understood about voiding the warranty. But if you can modify them to go faster, what is the max speed you feel comfortable riding at?

How do you normally transport them to something like the "Whiz in" at Fresno, or take them with you on vacation?

Can you load them onto a bicycle rack, or do you have a pickup truck or trailer?

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Thanks for the info on city riding Mike.

I frequently top 45 MPH going down a big hill in city traffic on a bicycle, and I know that that's too darn fast for that frame and tires.

More questions:
Understood about voiding the warranty. But if you can modify them to go faster, what is the max speed you feel comfortable riding at?

How do you normally transport them to something like the "Whiz in" at Fresno, or take them with you on vacation?

Can you load them onto a bicycle rack, or do you have a pickup truck or trailer?
With the right mods, it's possible to get your Whizzer up to or over 45mph, but I feel that's scary fast for a bike the size and weight of a Whizzer. But keep in mind, it's recommended that the first 500 miles (the break-in period) be kept at 25mph or below.
Be careful about loading a Whizzer onto certain types of bicycle racks. The trunk mount or hitch mount racks would be the easiest (so you don't have to lift the bike onto the roof), but you would need to make sure the rack can handle 100 lbs or more. The bike weighs 97lbs empty, add fluids and you've got 100lbs there. Not to mention the weight of any accessories, such as a rear rack, saddlebags or tool bags, and you get my drift. If hauling more than one (as my brother and I do), a trailer is definitely the best way to go. I hope this has been of some help.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Looks like the frame that the Whizzer is sold is too heavy for me. Plus I really don't want the 12 volt battery, electronic ignition, lights etc.

I really like the 4 cycle 138cc engine and belt drive train though.

I've got a Nexus 7 internal gear rear hub that I just laced up to a Sun CR18 Touring rim, and for my next project I've decided to build up a bike with a gas conversion kit.

Here's one more question for y'all:

Does anyone sell a Whizzer conversion kit?

Thanks again to everyone answering my questions.

Internal gear hub

Touring rim:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Lack of Whizzer Kits

Hi, WhizzerUSA decided about 8 months ago to discontinue the kits. There do not appear to be any availble, as they are in great demand to build bikes like mine, and to install on Vintage bikes, not to mention the occasional custom.

There are 2 websites who pretend to have kits, one of whom sold, for 750.00 a Chinese 2-stroke engine kit to one of my customers, when he had ordered a Whizzer kit. This is NOT the first time that site had done that. PM me for details if you like, as Whizzer has asked me to NOT publicly mention thier names, in an effort to Not advertise for them.

It is highly unlikely to find an NE5 kit, and people I know are bike complete Whizzers, just to get the drivetrains.

Mike

Reactions: Firefly

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Thanks for the info guys.

I just talked to Norm of www.VeniceMotorbikes.com. He's right around the corner from my house (I can ride my bike there) and has a shipment of 80cc kits coming in from China in a week or so.

It's not a Whizzer, but it'll get me started.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
One last note - I'm in no rush, but if anyone comes across a Whizzer conversion kit, please let me know.

I'll be putting the Chinese 80cc on an old mountain bike, and putting the Nexus 7 speed internal gear wheel on a vintage English 3 speed frame.

The Chinese 80cc will just be something for me to tinker with.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I went to visit my local Whizzer dealer yesterday after work, and went for a ride on one of the used ones he had in stock.

WOW!!!

What a cool ride. It's still a bit too heavy for me to carry up a flight of stairs, so I haven't changed my mind.

BUT

I can definitely see why they have a loyal following.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Yes, the Whizzer is a bit heavy to hump up a flight of stairs. Judging by your symptoms you have contracted "The Whizzer Bug". The only cure is to ride a Whizzer as much as possible, you won't regret it.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Yes, the Whizzer is a bit heavy to hump up a flight of stairs. Judging by your symptoms you have contracted "The Whizzer Bug". The only cure is to ride a Whizzer as much as possible, you won't regret it.
You're absolutely right! I just put a few more miles on my Whizzer this evening by just running laps around my neighborhood. :D

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Went to a "bike" night last night. Again a few motorcyclists gathered around the Whizzer. It attracts attention, especially the Harley owners.
They step off of a $30,000 custom and look at the Whizzer. A little rust and oxidized paint but
Lots of compliments.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Wow! What a difference. Bright as the sun, and the horn is actually audible. The local battery dealer had only a close size, the Whizzer battery cover is now slightly ajar, but tight.