Broken Speedo Cable - 92 Miles

GoldenMotor.com

MoonKS

Apr 4, 2008
Kansas
I was on my way home from work when I looked down to check my speed - it said I was going zero MPH - pretty impressive. When I got home I checked to see if the speedo cable was secure at both ends (speedo and wheel) - and it was.

So I unscrewed it from the speedometer and when I did there was about a 1.75 inch piece of internal braided/wound steel cable that was sheared off (see attached photo). So I call the dealer since it is only 10 days old - they tell me they stock no Whizzer parts or accessories and to call Whizzer. So I get out my owners manual and dial the number - I get a message it is no longer in service. So I hit the website and they have a completely different number.

I call and speak with an extremely nice lady who tells me that I should contact my dealer as that is how they handle warranty claims. I told her I did and that they said they do not deal in parts/accessories. She said to try again and let them know that is how Whizzer does it - and that once the dealer contacts them (Whizzer) they can have the cable shipped directly to my address.

By this time the dealer is closed - so I will hit them up tomorrow. But I also told the kind woman at Whizzer that the number in their Owners Manual is out of service - she said, "You must have purchased an older Whizzer". I told her it was a 2007 NE5 according to the title - she said they should have a newer manual or one with an insert - I said the manual I got was all greasy and beat up and it says that the rear brake is a coaster brake - hmmmm.

Odd to have the cable snap like that - there is no tension on the cable at all - I must have had one built on a Friday

She said if I get no help from the dealer with my second try I could just call them back and they will get the cable to me. I like good service - and I feel like I am getting it with Whizzer.

Regards,

Matthew

Attachments

MoonKS

Apr 4, 2008
Kansas
Well, I took it to the dealer today and when he pulled the inner cable out it was bone dry - he said there should be a good coating of oil in there - but he was right...it was indeed bone dry.

Whizzer is sending a new one my way :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Lots of things like that happen in the bike business it seems. At least they stood up to it and didn't tell you tough luck. That sorry bout that is what happened pretty much with pablo and the bad carb. sounds like someone is going to act responsibly for you.