Mercury Build

GoldenMotor.com

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Picked up this Mercury girls bike that is and was very rusty. Don't want to make it nice so leaving all the rust I can. I have a 1920 Kinkade engine. It is 350 cc but only runs about 900 rpm, has a atmospheric intake valve and was only rated at a couple hp. It was stuck and rusty when I got it, but I took it down and it's ready to go, but left outside rusty. I needed to move my frame jig, so I thought I would put the frame together and stick the engine in and make the bike a roller. My Quincy Flyer is basically done, just have to do tear down and paint, so I figured I would start another one.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:-|| I have OUTRAGOUS motor lust!! You should name it Shaft! Cuz its one BAD MOTHER ( shut your mouth! ) just talk'n bout Shaft...

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Here is a Kinkade like this engine was originally on.

The engine is neat. It has a cam geared 6 to 1 unlike a normal engine with 2 to 1 ratio. That means the cam has three exhaust lobes. The wheel of the garden tractor was driven from the cam, so if the engine was running 600 rpm the cam was only turning 100 rpm. I may drive the bike from the cam instead of the crank. It has no intake lobes, the intake has a very soft spring and opens when the piston travels down on intake stroke, it sucks it open. Early motorcycles were this way along with all hit and miss engines. This engine was in a fire at some time. It was stuck so hard I tried to pump the cylinder full of grease to force the piston down and bent the grease gun handle. I ended up using a 10 ton porta-power pump to force it out. The engine has two oil sumps and a pump that transfers the oil from the lower to the upper sump. The pump was missing so I had to build one.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a wonderful engine... so good that you have not only saved it from the scrap metal pile, but given it a new life as motorbike engine. What you did in transforming the Mercury frame is top notch. You are doing great stuff and I'm so glad you're part of our forum. You make us proud, sir.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There were quite a few engines that used the cam reduction in the drive train over the years. There was even a French (who else would think of it?) 4 where the crankshaft was at the top. and a robust cam chain ran down to what can only be described as an underhead camshaft from one face of the half time sprocket, and the final drive from the other.

But, you know, that's just the French.

Not forgetting Buddfab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FE42yduNI