Villiers Board track racer

GoldenMotor.com

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Well I made a start on the frame, only tacked up at the moment

Hope the picture works photobucket has changed a bit..

Last edited:

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Ok, it does!! The loop I'm sure your all gonna say is very low, well the villiers stands about 18" tall !!

And one more

I'll post some more, and some ideas when I get some more time, comments, criticism welcome

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Nice start and a very cool motor!

The head angle looks kind of steep. Have you calculated your rake and trail?

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
I haven't yet, tacked up about 51" wheel base. First pictures I've taken, and can see it now....

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
That's a very good question, and until I mock the motor in the frame I'm not so sure, pulleys etc

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Maybe this eBay no - 281259053011 couldn't get a link to work, fully engaged 1800rpm

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have you been to a bike breakers and looked at the belt driven scooter transmissions? With a fixed ratio rear pulley, the front would be self tensioning.

Last edited:

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
I'm going to slot the motor mount holes, get some adjustment, hopefully with a pretty close for size belt, and alignment to the sheave issues. No time for scrapyard I'm affraid

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I have a couple of belt drive bikes, one with a CVT front pulley.

In my experience that cheap belt clutch pictured is ok on small engines. On a thumper like that flathead, I would use a Hilliard extreme duty clutch.

The Hilliard clutches are easy to tune. The pulley clutches come with 1800 rpm springs installed, but they make springs for 830, 1200, 2000, 2300 & 3000

Easy to change springs. 4 shoes. A high quality unit.

Now about that CVT idea...
I have the drive pulley from a Comet 20 series torque converter on my sidehack. It does work, but it has it's own quirks.

Engage speed is adjusted by belt length. Going up one size raises engage speed. This sounds good, but it can be a pain in the backside.

The belt is the clutch facing. With a GX120 it will launch the bike without pedaling. The price you pay for this is belt wear. Under extreme conditions I can make a belt smoke.

The automatic tension of the CVT without the spring pulley pulls very hard on the belt. I found out that a cheap belt will stretch if you spin the engine up to 5k or so. The pulley just keeps pushing on the belt. In short, this thing is hard on belts with a 120cc 4 stroke. Kevlar B section belts work great.

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Thanks for the clutch information, very interesting. Just a bit more info on the 'thumper' it's 208cc 2.7 hp @3000rpm. So not an extreme environment for a clutch? Heavy duty or not?

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
With a 79cc 2.5hp OHV engine, that inexpensive clutch seems to stall when new at about 2400 rpm. Not a problem with that engine, we spin them to 6000 rpm

Your Villiers tops out much earlier, and makes about 30% more torque than the 79cc OHV. I doubt you will spin that old girl more than 3500 very often.

You could use either clutch. The Hilliard could be easily tuned to stall at a lower rpm, giving a wider useful speed range.

If you have ever tried to change the garter spring on a cheap 3 shoe clutch, you know just how much you would like to slap the bell end that designed it...

The gauge line for the pulley is similar for both clutches. If you go the cheap route & want to upgrade you can easily enough. Personally I lean toward doing a job once with high quality parts.

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Thanks again, great practical advise. Sounds like you have done your fair share of clutch testing! I'm with you all the way, 'buy cheap, buy twice'
I'll order one found UK suppliers
Just need to measure the crank

Last edited: