saving a draft thread

GoldenMotor.com

jon.karak

Apr 7, 2011
U.S.A.
I've looked at the FAQ and I see no instructions, so I presume we can't save a draft of a thread on purpose. (That said, once when I timed out, when I logged back in I could return to the thread preview. So it may be technically possible.)

I suggest being able to save a draft of a thread, so it can be edited prior to posting.

P.S. Forgive me if you can save a draft, and don't know it yet.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've looked at the FAQ and I see no instructions, so I presume we can't save a draft of a thread on purpose. (That said, once when I timed out, when I logged back in I could return to the thread preview. So it may be technically possible.)

I suggest being able to save a draft of a thread, so it can be edited prior to posting.

P.S. Forgive me if you can save a draft, and don't know it yet.
Use word or word pad. Save on desktop until you do the edit you need.

jon.karak

Apr 7, 2011
U.S.A.
I do that already, but this forum uses BB code (which is non-standard) to provide text formatting. So I have to recode the formatting every time I re-start editing. This also means I have to re-upload the images as well.

If I just posted straight text, your suggestion would do just fine. But I like to use formatting and pictures to make posts more interesting and readable.

Maybe its as simple as creating a new folder like the Private Messages Inbox. Analogous to saving a draft email in gmail.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, if you're "timing out" and loosing posts you may wish to tick the "remember me" option during login - that way you'll not get bumped off any longer;

BBCode is still standard for most bulletin boards/forums & it's pretty intuitive, there's only a handful of tags used and/or supported for public posting;
BB Code List - vBulletin Community Forum

I often write my longer posts beforehand using Notepad (format Word Wrap off) incorporating bbcode for text formatting and url/img links with the only "downside" not being able to "preview" - which I'll do right before I submit a post. Lately I've started composing longer posts & research with my email client, saving my draft by sending it to my work/home email - that way I've a copy no matter where I am... although I do get the odd feeling I'm talking to myself lol

To my knowledge there's no other way to "save drafts" on any standard forum except Al's suggestion and your idea to PM *shrug*

BTW if you're using Firefox & are tired of manually entering code, check out one of these plugins (tho they won't work outside the browser ofc);
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bbcode/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bbcodextra/

jon.karak

Apr 7, 2011
U.S.A.
OK, well if the occasion ever comes up, I suggest sending the "save draft" idea to the developers who make the "standard forum." Maybe they would appreciate the feedback. Can't hurt to ask...