High performance Intake Manifold

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Guys, I have just been too buried in making tanks to find the time to build the sidewinder intake. I am also a little concerned that everyone wants their own shape. There is a lot to consider. Height, set back, angle, etc. Turning out to the left side of the bike seems best to me as there is more room there. Is there any concensous as to what shape you want so I can at least build a few.

Last edited:

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
90< to the jug will allow for the carb to be turned any direction to make the carb level. Kind of L shaped but with a better flow than the L of course. Length does not matter to me as i will be using it for a reversed jug and i have plenty of room up front. The problem is the holes that go into the flange interfere with the intake unless you give it at least an inch or so in length so you can get a bolt (or stud with a nut)in the jug with out hitting the intake. I hope this makes sense. i will try to get a drawing up in a couple of days ,Scott

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
It`s tough to come straight out because of that clutch cable stay....Unless the customer wants to take it off and slice about a 1/4" of it off to get it low enough to clear the perf. intake.....Straight out lets the carb. bowl rest or interfere with the stay....

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
It`s tough to come straight out because of that clutch cable stay....Unless the customer wants to take it off and slice about a 1/4" of it off to get it low enough to clear the perf. intake.....Straight out lets the carb. bowl rest or interfere with the stay....
I didnt think of that and I ran into that with the MM intake

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Tired of grinding out the stock intake manifolds for better flow and port matching? I have been building these custom port matched intakes for the two strokes. Here is a shot of the manifold before I hit it with the scotch brite pad. Ported stock aluminum on the left, custom one on the right. I made a CAD drawing of the old flange perimeter and then carefully measured and drew up the cylinder port. Laser cut a bunch of cylinder matched stainless flanges. I then made a small die to press the round tube to the rectangle shape of the cylinder port so the flow path smoothly contours into the cylinder. Tig welded together. These manifolds really open up the two strokes. Seems to make the engine run smoother, also.

Here is a picture of one cleaned up and mounted to a Grubee GT5 slant head engine.
Does the square ported ones on the right can be use to a non ported stock engine (factory specs)?. I want to order one though

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Does the square ported ones on the right can be use to a non ported stock engine (factory specs)?. I want to order one though
Even a unmodified intake port is larger than the opening in the stock intake manifold's flange, provided you remember to trim the gasket to fit - it should still have some benefit ;)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I sold out pretty fast on the first run of manifolds. I have ordered material for another run. If I make a couple of the Sidewinders they will be more expensive. It adds an additional fitting and one more weld joint. Still a couple weeks out. If you guys are serious then let's talk. You know how to email me. I would like to see if one turned out style will work for everybody.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Can you make me one that raise a little higher? I have a dellorto that I finally solved the issue of matching the stock manifold OD to Delortos ID using a nylon bushing. But when installing the new carb it wont clear the clutch arm, so I need a manifold thats raised higher than stock. Please let me know if this is doable. Thanks

BTW... Your manifolds looks good!

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Can you make me one that raise a little higher? I have a dellorto that I finally solved the issue of matching the stock manifold OD to Delortos ID using a nylon bushing. But when installing the new carb it wont clear the clutch arm, so I need a manifold thats raised higher than stock. Please let me know if this is doable. Thanks

BTW... Your manifolds looks good!
Wouldn`t it work better for you if it came out the right side away from the moving parts(clutch arm).....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I prefer a little higher. Going to the right side could get tangle with my fuel line and plug wires. I have plenty of room between the carbs and the seat post and top tube.
Well What I think Pat is wanting is an intake that will suffice for most MBer`s with a general middle of the road MB that the intake will work for...You should email Pat with your suggestion so that we can hopefully get a Perf. Intake from him that will work for ALL of us....
See ya,
Paul....

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks Paul. That's the plan. The easiest way for me to do this (and the cheapest for the buyer) is to take the current configuration and add an additional 45 degree elbow which will turn the carb out to one side. The right side has a large diameter clutch cover which gets in the way. Turning to the left side of the bike seems better. Carb will clear the clutch linkage. I will build more manifolds in a couple weeks when I can find the time. Materials were ordered. Cost? Well the side out version requires one more $8 fitting and one additional weld joint. Add that to the current $40 and you have an expensive manifold. Is anyone going to buy one at that price?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Thanks Paul. That's the plan. The easiest way for me to do this (and the cheapest for the buyer) is to take the current configuration and add an additional 45 degree elbow which will turn the carb out to one side. The right side has a large diameter clutch cover which gets in the way. Turning to the left side of the bike seems better. Carb will clear the clutch linkage. I will build more manifolds in a couple weeks when I can find the time. Materials were ordered. Cost? Well the side out version requires one more $8 fitting and one additional weld joint. Add that to the current $40 and you have an expensive manifold. Is anyone going to buy one at that price?
I`m game.........Count me in for one....