A shifter kit?

GoldenMotor.com

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Where did that "...the ~15% jackshaft energy loss..." concept come from? That's a very wrong perception. One horsepower out of the engine is equivalent to 746 watts of heat. An engine putting out 3 horsepower at any speed is putting out the equivalent of 2,238 watts of heat. That is what a small electric stove burner will put out when it is red hot. 15% of that is 335 watts. If the jackshaft assembly were absorbing that much energy, it would be much too hot to touch after a few minutes. My bike's jackshaft assembly is barely warm at any time. And that is only because it absorbed heat transferred to it from the engine case. That 15% idea is nonsense!

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
And you just told them on here you said this.....
GhostO and Pablo (Sick Bike Parts)
have responded to your thread here trying to help you out.

Your language and sheer audacity befounds me.....
Good luck with your attempted shortcut.

haha, its actually a left drop, i just told the sickbikes guys it wasnt cause i wanted discount kit price minus jackshaft. this is what im looking at... flip the rear wheel so sprockets are on the left, freeze up the freewheel on the grearset, and use the crank freewheel. tie up the 4 stroke and smash down the road with out the ~15% jackshaft energy loss. suggestions???

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
We sell most all the piece parts, at not too nasty of a mark-up. When you have it all worked out, let us know what you need.

Time is money, and this is low cost entertainment. Some people do jack us around, some are just plain nasty. When people found out we weren't going away any time soon, the nastiness dropped way off and the entertainment time ratcheted up.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I have made about $400 in purchases from SBP. Every single thing has been a good value, quickly shipped. Pablo, Ghost, you guys rock! I was really hoping to generate a little discussion on the backwards motor idea though. If you just think I'm a dunce that's ok too. Whatcha think?

scrxbandit

Jul 26, 2009
santa cruz
you know i was pretty set on running with a 4 stroke scooter guy set up but if i get the 2 stroke to kick backwards id have a novelty bike. Need some judges. if the motors mounted dead center, how far off from the procket would it be on the freewheel system?

cdubz

Aug 8, 2009
boston
any one try replacing the pedals with a direct sprocket from engine on left and original gear sprockets on right with derailor?

questions:
-would orig. mountain bike chain handle the torque?
- what type of ratio on right would be needed to keep the derailors working?
-reinforce axel housing on bike frame?
- are there shift kits for small 2stroke engines?
-

I think that since the back wheel will freewheel when i lay off the throttle, i could shift at low rpms. starting in 1st might mean having to lift up the wheel for some spin to shift down, if the gears are to high and the engine bogged out, you could push/roll the bike to shift

please: comments and advice
-charlie

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
by removing the pedals, you now have a scooter/motorcycle! it no longer is a bicycle! and plus I would think you would want some pedal power just in case. the shift kits that SickBikeParts have are for the 2 stroke. I dont have one myself but I hear they work fantastic!

lreeves

Aug 8, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
turns out the spark timing needs to be adjusted a few degrees forward past top dead center for the motor the run in reverse. if its timed dead center, itd have trouble deciding which direction to kick in.
I think, if you will check your manuals, the timing is before TDC. Timing and fuel are critical. IT can cause the piston skirts to burn off and a few other problems.
I have a timing gauge for 2 stokes that screws into the Spark Plug hole and sits on top of the piston as it comes to the top. Yamaha used to set to 4mm before Top Dead Center. I am not sure what the specs are for these engines.
Based on what I remember about 2 stokers and it has been a while. I may be wrong, if so, please advise.

Last edited:

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
Just got back from my first ride withthe shift kit :D

was awesome, my bike has 8 gears on the rear and i used gears, 3,4,5,6. 3 was for starting the engine and went up to 6 for cruising. I'm worried about the chains touching eachother in 7th and 8th gears, but i'm doing 30-5mph while in 6th anyway.

BriggsBmx

Dec 6, 2017
sbp shift kits are awesome... I did the same. kept the chains away from each other... I ride off road with no grief

BriggsBmx

Dec 6, 2017
... by setting up the gears to limit how close the chains get... it feels safer at high speeds... this bike has a 3rd sprocket 32 teeth and a smaller dia back wheel... it launches off the line!!