thoughts on speedos????

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That's actually a lot less scary than a standard chain tensioner by the rear wheel.

You shouldn't have any issues if the speedo is installed correctly.

(I have a cheap electronic wired speedo that works great.)

Good luck in your project!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All apparel jokes aside, (and I have a few dozen)
I think a good speedo with a odometer function adds a lot to your daily ride. The newer styles that give average and max speeds are a lot of fun. I find myself aiming to beat my average speed on repeat trips when I have this info.
Even an old cable unit should not be dangerous if it fails. Just route the cable correctly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanx it does have a resetable trip so i dig it but i do like the idea of average speed n stuff how much was it what kind
Wally World (Walmart) has a Schwinn 12 function speedo for about $10. Too bad they 'improved' the design from the one they used to make. The newer ones will not allow setting the odometer. The older style, if you needed to change the battery you'd loose the accrued milage but if you kept track of it you could program it back in after you'd installed a new battery. You can't do that with the 'new and improved' ones.

Tom

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I use a wireless Iron House, bought it at Walmart. It has a speedometer, an odometer (mph & kph), trip meter, top speed, average speed, time and date, compass heading, altitude, air temperature, some stuff I don't know, and all the calories I didn't burn... LOL

The mounting bracket attached easily on the handle bar and has a quick release feature too. I found that my bars were getting to crowded so I made a small aluminum bracket that secures to the handlebar clamp and zip tied the quick release mount to the new mounting bracket just like it zip ties to the original handlebar bracket.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I use an app (B.iCycle) for my iPhone and it work great. It has a map, trip distance, total distance, current, avg and maximum speedo. You can also email the info and it shows the route you took on Google earth.
I use it because I need to know my limits because I ride an eBike now.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Bought this one at Wally World for around $15. Gives all info, total miles, trip miles, average speed, max speed and timer. Works great for me.

I might add that the timer only runs when the bike is in motion.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's mine. The one on the left was the old style that I can't find anymore. You could program the odometer. The middle is the new style, non-programmable odometer. The Bell speedo on the right was very susceptable to ignition interference and would not hold a program no matter what I did to protect it from the RF from the ignition.

Tom

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Here's my manual cable speedo , I would have gone the typical retro Crome one but liked the coffin shape of this one .
Tested it and the accuracy is dead on compared to a traffic speed radar they had set up on a main drag in my neighbourhood

Oh the traveled is incorrect due to my curious 6 yr old lol

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hen,
I like that speedo. Where did you get it? Got a link?

Tom
I can't post a link via my iPad Tom but the item number is 131043431541
And the seller is laxzo ,it was just over 20 au with free postage sent from London
I've included a pic of the listing a swell ,I have to say when I first got it I was a tad sceptical of its quality but it has turned out to be really great and with a miles and kilometres measure on it ,it's great for working out m to km for this forum plus it's fairly unique in shape and look which matches my bike perfectly.

Regards Henshooter

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Nice, - I like cable speedos. None of that new-fangled electrickery for this girl. ;)

I'm with you Wheelwoman. As much as we like mechanical things, like motorized bicycles and motorized anything, I prefer the look and action of vintage speedometers. I just dug out a box of my speedo collection and started organizing and repairing. I'm starting a thread in the accessory category on the classic old speedometers.