Finding the right freewheel sprocket help

GoldenMotor.com

jlatshaw

Jul 18, 2013
Murica
Hello,
I am trying to find a freewheel sprocket that will fit a bike chain with a 1/2” pitch and that will also go on my DC motor ( shaft length of 1/2" and 5/16" in diameter). I am having a terrible time trying to find one. Could you help point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
-James

jlatshaw

Jul 18, 2013
Murica
Wow that's a great site!

However most of the freewheel sprockets that I see there, and everywhere else, aren't made to fit on my shaft. Maybe there is a way I can thread a sleeve on the shaft and then put a normal bike freewheel over top the sleeve.

I'll try to come back and post how I resolve it.
Thanks though,
-James

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just thought of an idea. If you're planning to make this a shifting build, the gear that the motor chain attaches to on the bottom bracket is a freewheel assembly, therefore you don't need a freewheel sprocket on the motor. All you need is to make sure that the motor sprocket and the freewheel can take the same size chain. Just a thought.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Looks like a #25 chain sprocket that has a D or Dual D bore, like these sprockets from: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets25chain.html

Like bbb stated, use a freewheel on the chainring to eliminate the need to buy a specialized freewheel, but I don't know if you can find chainrings for #25 chain. Here's a D bore sprocket for 1/2" bicycle chain that might work: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/bicyclesprockets.html Just Google D bore sprocket and you'll find many others on the Internet and Ebay. Probably a good idea to look for ones that work with 1/2" chain.

FYI, I don't think I've ever seen a freewheel for a D bore sprocket.

Wait for your motor to arrive to see what you've got.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

jlatshaw

Jul 18, 2013
Murica
Thanks a lot for the input and ideas everyone! I think You all have given me enough ideas to find a solution. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks,
-James