Anyone Convert Internal hub to 8-Speed Cassette?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hi. My NOS Diamondback cruiser frame was built for an internal hub. Unknown what speed it's made for, maybe 7-speed.

I WAS gonna run an 8-speed internal hub with rear disc brake and 2.75" x 21" motorcycle tire.
I'm having tire clearance issues with the chain and seat stays. Until that's resolved, it's best to run a bicycle wheel & a 2.35 x 26" Schwalbe tire.
It's too expensive to have separate 8-speed hubs for bicycle rim and motorcycle rim, so I'll re-spoke the m/c rim to an 8-speed cassette hub.
When the frame clearance issue is resolved, then I'll have the m/c wheel re-spoked for 8-speed cassette.

Now the big question is:

Are there adaptors that convert a frame from internal hub to a cassette hub w/quick release and derailleur?
BTW, the dropout is 130mm wide. It was easy to slide in an 8-speed cassette wheel w/2.35 x 26" wheel.
Everything fits in the frame, including a 203mm disc brake.

Thanks for help.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
They also make derailleurs that mount to your rear axle. They will not work with a skewer: only nutted axles.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, but I want a disc-braked hub.

Besides, I got 11t/34t cassettes I need to use.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I added a disc brake wheel to the back of my cruiser framed motorbike. My motor sprocket is mounted to the disc mount. I replaced the original skewer axle with a solid axle from another wheel and it has worked out good.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Wow. Thanks for the tip.

I didn't know you could replace skewers with solid axles.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Just a couple of things on the skewer to axle swap - Use a bicycle axle; not threaded rod or some other bolt.
The threads on the skewer axle and solid axle will likely be different, so you need bearing retainers (tighteners) that came with the solid axle or that you know will fit it. The bearings can stay in the wheel during the axle swap if you are careful. Just make sure your bearings are well packed with grease before you finish.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My Sunrace derailleur adaptor arrived, and I installed it in a few seconds.

At $1.53, it is an amazing bargain!

Now to order the derailleur and shifter.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I ordered a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur and corresponding shifter. I also ordered a combination front deraiileur shifter/brake lever combination. The lever operates the rear disc brake. I will convert the 3-speed shifter to be the engine throttle.

I also ordered a Shimano 36h cassette hub with disc brake. This hub will be rebuilt with HUGE 9-gauge motorcycle spokes, rim and a 3" wide motorcycle tire.

Last edited: