Wire in carb jet to lean out band-aid fix till I get my micro bits in mail questions.

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
To lean out past .75 on throttle because of too rich condition;

So, as far as I understand, a single strand of doorbell or relay wire, the stuff that is shellac or whatever coated is used, wrapped around the bottom threads of the jet with the wire end sticking up 'only so far' up into the jet hole. (but what about fuel getting past the unseated threads because the wire is there?)

I may want to do this until I get my new micro bits and pin driver in the mail that I just ordered yesterday, so I can solder and drill smaller. I choose not to put up with bad 4 stroking performance until then, so I am looking for a band-aid fix for now.

Funny thing happened, well not really...but, I was going home up this hill and was 4 stroking, then all of a sudden, I had this incredible surge of power and the motor opened right up, then I bogged.
-Forgot to turn on the gas valve.

Proof enough.

What if I just restricted my fuel flow, too risky for over lean, over heat meltdown I suppose.

Anyone mold a jet out of JB weld, using plaster of paris?
(sorry couldn't resist)
Worthy experiment though, apparently JB weld can stand up to gas (gasahol though?)

Can anyone expand on this or give me alternative input?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Re: Wire in carb jet to lean out band-aid fix till I get my micro bits in mail questi

Sounds like an interesting experiment to me.

I would try a very fine wire maybe from a small stainless steel wire brush, because it is stronger than copper for this idea I'm thinking.

Try bending the wire into a "J' shape with square corners. Stick the short leg in the jet, and twist a fine wire(maybe a length of solder, zip tie ect.) around the jet and the long leg together, right next to the threads. Bend a slight tab in the end of the long leg to keep it from slipping out from the wire's grasp.
If the steel wire proves too restrictive, maybe you can ream the stock jet some to compensate, or try the finer copper wire.

Of course, you should do careful plug readings to make sure you're not too lean.
A good low tech way I use to tune all my 2 stroke machines is to adjust carb so that you get very very slight 4 stroking at full power/load when thoroughly warmed up. As long as it's doing that, you know it's not too lean.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Re: Wire in carb jet to lean out band-aid fix till I get my micro bits in mail questi

People here have done this as a temporary measure.

wayne z said:
adjust carb so that you get very very slight 4 stroking at full power/load when thoroughly warmed up. As long as it's doing that, you know it's not too lean.
That's exactly my goal (for sure when I get into soldering), the drill bits I am getting are in .05 increments, I will find the snug bit and go down from there.

Now, I assume one can't insert the wire too far, just enough, otherwise it will interfere with the needle.

Now, to find a piece of wire like that, must consult my hoard of hoardings, or perhaps I can stuff some cat hair in my bowl that'll lean it out, I have crap loads of that stuff and it's really good at restricting lots of things.
It's an abundant renewable untapped resource around this place.

ssvincels1

Jun 3, 2012
hstn tx

the wire trick does work, i used a wire off of a bread loaf
i was running extremely rich, could only get 15 mpg top end from 23 mph i had a month earlier. i ended up figuring out the true reason it was rich was that the airfilter had become soaked with oil/gas mixture coming back thru the carb which reduced the airflow thru the filter. when i ended up installing a new filter it went to extremely lean, be careful.

i had tunnel vision when i first started working on my bike motor

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

....I had this incredible surge of power and the motor opened right up, then I bogged.
-Forgot to turn on the gas valve.....
Sounds to me like you need to do a float adjustment to lower the fuel level in the bowl. If you're getting a surge of power when you ride with the fuel off, and it is reproducible, then a float adjustment should be able to help keep your carb constantly in that condition. The float adjustment alone might lean out your carb enough to not need the wire or smaller jet after all. Give it a try....

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012

Yes, I have been thinking of that, adjust my spring to 21mm as recommended.
It would be a good idea to do that first.

I may put the wire thing on hold, my performance seems to be alright for now, still could be a tad leaner though.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

A friend of mine used to do the wire thing when he went to the mountains. He would just stick the wire through a little bit so it wouldn't interfere with the metering rod. Some times if they were at a really high altitude they would use 2wires...