greyhound electrical question...?

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
so, I seem to have misplaced my multimeter, and figured I'd just ask a couple questions here...

does anybody know the voltage pu out by these tiny little magneto &cdi's?
and, could it run a light off of it, or would a step-up system be needed?

I'm hoping to get 12v. outta her for head/running lights, battery &gen' setup maybe?...

all Ideas and suggestions welcome pls!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I've seen a guy modify the little wheel hugger generators with little pulleys, then put a thin belt pulley and chain sprocket jackshaft that ran off of the drive chain. It was a very thin belt but ran two of the 12v generators with no draw from the engine. This ran into two little batteries and then lights and instruments. Think it was a B&S motor but you could do it with any, considering the setup. L8R.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Thanks Dan, Also he built a little thin metal case for it, the only thing sticking out was the drive chain sprocket. I've been looking into the same thing my self for the HS motor, since it doesn't have a power source. Also to think of it, it might have been a metal wire instead of a belt, can't seem to remember, it was the 80's after all, lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Dan, Also he built a little thin metal case for it, the only thing sticking out was the drive chain sprocket. I've been looking into the same thing my self for the HS motor, since it doesn't have a power source. Also to think of it, it might have been a metal wire instead of a belt, can't seem to remember, it was the 80's after all, lol.
LOL, I have a similar block of memory loss from that decade. Musta been some thing in the water.

On my daily rider, the shaft sticks out (actually inboard) just enough so the drive sprocket is adjustable. So could do this on the back of the backing plate.

Ya got me thinking Oring drive. Could be cool. LOL, gonna call it the "Tipsy-gen" Almost every thing on this bike is named after some one on here.

Except the "super pooper" rubber muffler.