Shifting Q Matic

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
So now the question becomes do I wait until the 2 speed comes out now and put off my 99cc HF build. When's it coming out Quenton?

We are currently shopping bids to have it produced and just haven't arrived at an acceptable price yet. We will most likely make more proto-types and get them into testing as we want to make sure it is "bullet proof". We are also looking into custom steel pulleys that can reduce the machining cost.

It is important to understand the "Q-Matic II" will first be offered as an upgrade to the Q-Matic. The Q-Matic is the primary drive for the 2 speed, and we plan to offer a 2 speed kit that is "bolt on" to keep it simple.

I wouldn't wait on the 99 CC project, just use the standard Q-Matic drive, and add the upgrade as soon as it is available. The Q-Matic has been used on the HF 79 CC motor for several years [Jim & Chris Davis from PA were some of the first to use EZM drives] and has worked great. The 99CC shares similar dimensions. In fact, the next set of tests will be on the HF 79 CC Greyhound motor. I want to play with different ratios and see what works best on lower RPM motors.

So far the drive is working great and can't wait for some extra time to play more with shift points and ratios.

Have fun,

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
We are currently using the stock EZM gearing as the top raio, and changing the lower ratio. Of course, if you can take off quicker and then shift into a higher ratio, it allows for all kinds of possibilities. The important part is it will be legal and not break many states laws by "manually shifting", as it will be totally automatic, and the shifting speed can be preset to different points.

Have fun,
I hope you can find someone to make it at a reasonable price. I love my kit motor & transmission with the reservation that it is lacking in hill climbing ability here in the mountains of Maryland. The two speed would make it a great, versatile unit.
SB