Unusual Clutch Pad Wear

GoldenMotor.com

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Does this clutch pad wear look abnormal to anyone? It is still under warranty, and has about 150 kms on the clutch.

Is this a replace the pads thing? Or just a simple adjustment?

Thanks,

Steven Gill

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
It's just that I don't think anyone here has seen the like. I have no idea what you have for clutch pucks and it looks like no replacement product that I'm aware of.

All I can say is contact the dealer and if that doesn't work then eBay and BGF for new square pucks(or whoever your favorite dealer is)

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
How much do you use the clutch? If its "under warranty" then it must be fairly new, so it looks like you don't know how to use the clutch on these or its not adjusted right and is slipping. You should know if it is slipping, the engine will rev but you won't go any faster. And if you are slowly using the clutch off of stops then you are creating a lot of wear. I don't know about the unevenness of it, but if it's new like you said, I'd be more worried at the fast rate of wear, unless it really is rubber, in that case, I've no clue as to a solution.

Good Luck,
Vista

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
I got the kit from zoombikes. They look like erasers and are closer to chalk texture than rubber. The engine is revving and I am accelerating, and when I drive it its either clutch on or clutch off. Maybe I will try to be a little more gentle with it, probably will still give zoom bikes a call see what they can do. If they will not what pads should I be using? Lets just say that I am willing to spend whatever to make it work right so price is not really an issue right now.

Thanks guys!!!!

Steven Gill

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
The ones I have seen are more like the stuff the rag joint is made of only harder, like a layered material. pretty hard and dry. you can do some searching on the side panel on the dealers website or see if anyone here has a set.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Most likely. The square ones look to have more contact area but that can be a problem all by it's self.

There are new pucks in the works being made from real clutch material, I'm thinking they will be a major improvement over stock. At least I hope so. My compression is so high I skid the back tire when I drop the clutch. It momentarily locks up then it fires. It goes from skidding to wanting to pop a wheelie when it does start.wee. I'm grinding through the clutch material at a alarming rate :p

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Hooray! You have the good stock pucks. I have those, and they work quite well. The only problem is they aren't the right size... Grind them down so they aren't just jammed in there like that. Once they're cleaned up, they are some of the best working clutch pucks that I've used.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Take your clutch out of the engine, lay face down on a piece of sandpaper and applying equal light pressure scour in a circular pattern until all the pads are clean then put back together. You don't need to take off a lot, just clean the surface.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I just found this thread and wondered what has occurred...

From the pic it looks kinda dumb, but NOT unexpected for a china product.

Could it be that the OP is expecting a slipper clutch action instead of a go/no go function?

Was/is it functioning suitably?

AFAIK, if it engages and does not slip when going down the road, and doesn't drag (too much) when disengaged, it's working.
I'd really like to see an in/out gearbox so a true neutral could be selected.

I just don't think a whole lot can be expected for the kind of money spent on these little things!

rc

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I actually just saw the picture for the first time, dunno how I missed it.

All that pic shows to me is that the pads weren't put in well. Where it's wearing is the last side to go in, and some look very atrocious as far as being cut down to fit etc.

I'd say replace your pucks with some of the rubber material ones - it's not way better, but it is better.