Lifan 2.5 in a Cranny

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Building what I guess might be a 21 century Power Bike, kinda a rendition of the old Popular Mechanics plans from the 50s. It will be pedal less and have floor boards of some sort and a foot brake. Going to use a double belt drive(primary and secondary) using a jackshaft to a Whizzer rear sheeve. Will have a Max Torque centrifugal clutch. Gearing will have 2 options a 12:1 and a 14:1 being easily swapped out. All the parts either came from the auto parts store or the lawnmower shop(Im an old lawnmower man). So repairs and parts are cheap and easy to get. Have all the parts but the belts which have to be determined, so hope to finish pretty soon. Not wild about the colors or white walls so may get a repaint and tires. This is the first stage.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Very cool. Would you be able to install a mini crankset, maybe from a childs bike, if you wanted to keep it legal?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks, the crankset that fits the Grubee G4 would work. In my state pedals are no longer required to qualify as a moped. Granted they would be nice in the event of a breakdown. Kinda want the vintage look of floor boards like on the Power Bike plans.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
More done on the Power Bike. Got the floor boards worked out. Was thinking over the brake hook up, the plans show a heel brake. The coaster brake on the Cranny has a lot of travel, which would require a fairly long lever arm I really didnt have the room for. Realizing I had a crank set and chain I just removed laying around figured I see if I could use it some way. This is what I came up with, works great, and fills the hole in frame I was going to have to do something with. Have rubber mats for the floor boards which will make them look better. Its coming along.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got a few more things done. Finish welded and painted the fabbed parts, got the exhaust made. Need the final hardware to mount the jackshaft, size the belts and fab the throttle linkage. Thats about it. Am waiting on black wall brick tread tires and a Whizzer repop fuel tank. Think I am going for an old paint scheme, leave the frame metallic blue and paint the fenders and tank orange. Like the old Gulf oil signs. These colors were popular on aircraft in the 30s. Should be cool.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
really an impressive build. I still haven't gotten my big motor bike going. I have it ready for another test ride tomorrow. Mine is just a friction drive though. I don't have the skills to build like that. Great job.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks deacon, I have followed a lot of your builds and have been impressed with the innovative ways you have fabbed friction drives. I think you really may be on to something with the big engine. Cant wait to hear how it goes.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cranny is comming along, got the floor boards finished, all welding done and painted, the jack shaft assembled. Replaced the whitewalls with a set of black bricks, and got the Whizzer repro tank. Extended the rear fender 6" as its too short stock to look right. Really am down to painting the fenders and tank, installing the belts and hooking up the throttle. Ditching the Cranny seat for a more correct one.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Are the motor mounts simply bolted to the frame? If so, how simple. :)
Yeah they are bolted, 2nd bike I have done this way. The other is years old and has had no problems. Guess I could have just as easily welded them, there is a lot of welding on this bike, but I wanted the floor boards bolted on in case of need to repair/replace, so just bolted it all on.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats pretty slick looking!! Like the floor boards. Do they ever scrape when you turn?
Havent riden it yet but they should have about the same clearance as the wide pedal crank set(Grubee G4) I would have had to use if I wanted pedals. I measured the G4 set I had on another bike and used those dimensions because I have had no clearance issues with them.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Getting close to final assembly. It is now in its final colors. Waiting on the belts to get here. Am going to antique the motor a bit. Could remove the recoil, but really dont want to carry a rope around. Will probably limit it to painting the engine shrouds and deflectors, and maybe fabbing a more period air cleaner. Have a chain guard from a Harley I bobbed that will make a cool belt guard for the primary belt. So far this has been an easy enjoyabe build. Hope to ride it soon.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
Wow, looks great!
I am in love with my Lifan 2.5
I got the Max-Torque clutch too, but sent it to Jim @ Max-Torque for an upgraded billet pulley & stronger shoe/spring combo. Also he did the precision bearing retrofit to replace the oil-lite bushing. Definitely worth the $40 IMHO...
Let us know how she rides!
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Lowracer!

What have you got the Lifan on? I was sure some one must be using one of these, just havent seen it. Seems like most are using the OHV engine. This little engine just fits inframe so easy!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Where do you get the engine and what was the cost and the hp of the engine. I really need a small 2hp motor for my bike that three is overkill.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Bought it off ebay for $105. They had been as low as $75, naturally I missed the deal. Its 2.5hp. I like it because the cylinder is vertical, and is more compact than the OHV engines. Its very light I can hold it in one hand. Comes with a fuel tank mounted on top. Be good for a friction drive. Has a mounting bolt pattern in the crank area or botom mount.. Side exhaust would be good for a rear mount also.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
cannonball2,
I got mine on eBay too but from a different seller who is no longer offering any for $89 (best offer) a few months back. They also sell them at Home Depot in Black for $109 (online). I wish I got the black one but blue is ok. I bypassed the governor simply using one of my daughters elastic hair ties. Here is a pic of my MB. Went front drive due to frame constraints.
Cheers,
-lowracer-

Attachments